Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead, as a suggestion, ask your instructor, and no one else; he/she IS THE FINAL WORD!!

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Instead, as a suggestion, ask your instructor, and no one else; he/she IS THE FINAL WORD!!

We have a very severe language barrier. It's very hard to go into details under such conditions. I have tried

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

We have a very severe language barrier. It's very hard to go into details under such conditions. I have tried

Forgive me for being a bit blunt. But if you are asking on a forum for basic guidance because you don't feel you can ask your teacher, is it not time to find another teacher?

It's one thing to seek advice and opinions on possible variations or new ideas. I know for fact my chief instructor does exactly that, although perhaps not via the Internet, but by occasional sessions with other teachers. We know he does. He tells us all about it after he's been. But it's another thing entirely to bypass the teacher about principles he teaches.

Have you considered the possibility that your teacher thinks there are other things you need to fix before getting bogged down in details of a kick? Our instructor for example will completely ignore imperfect leg action in beginners until he can iron out their flailing arm and nonexistent guard issues. Once they start to tighten up their techniques, then he'll start ironing out the more minor (but important) details.

Again forgive me for being blunt, but have you considered the possibility that he gives more attention to those that value his input?

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Forgive me for being a bit blunt. But if you are asking on a forum for basic guidance because you don't feel you can ask your teacher, is it not time to find another teacher?

It's one thing to seek advice and opinions on possible variations or new ideas. I know for fact my chief instructor does exactly that, although perhaps not via the Internet, but by occasional sessions with other teachers. We know he does. He tells us all about it after he's been. But it's another thing entirely to bypass the teacher about principles he teaches.

Have you considered the possibility that your teacher thinks there are other things you need to fix before getting bogged down in details of a kick? Our instructor for example will completely ignore imperfect leg action in beginners until he can iron out their flailing arm and nonexistent guard issues. Once they start to tighten up their techniques, then he'll start ironing out the more minor (but important) details.

Again forgive me for being blunt, but have you considered the possibility that he gives more attention to those that value his input?

I don't need my instructor blessing to discuss techniques online. ITF Taekwondo is ITF Taekwondo no matter where you train. And I'm not sure I will continue training. (it's closed for the season)

My question was about the knee placement during impact. If my knee points to the side, is it then a side kick formation of the leg? Should the knee point slightly upwards/vertical? Can't you have the knee pointing to the side and drive through the target more? Aren't there fighters in TMA who blend side and roundhouse mechanics?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall vibe I've gotten from all these "is this okay?" posts is that you've been told you're not doing techniques correctly, yet you want external justification to keep doing what you're doing.

Quote:
ITF Taekwondo is ITF Taekwondo no matter where you train.

and

Quote:
Aren't there fighters in TMA who blend side and roundhouse mechanics?

are contradicting each other, and they're in the same post.

Ultimately, if you don't like the school you're at, find a new one. If you don't like being taught, open your own school.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
The overall vibe I've gotten from all these "is this okay?" posts is that you've been told you're not doing techniques correctly, yet you want external justification to keep doing what you're doing.

Quote:
ITF Taekwondo is ITF Taekwondo no matter where you train.

and

Quote:
Aren't there fighters in TMA who blend side and roundhouse mechanics?

are contradicting each other, and they're in the same post.

Ultimately, if you don't like the school you're at, find a new one. If you don't like being taught, open your own school.

I have left his school. The thread has nothing to do with him.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't. I first asked a question about the formal technique, then how it looks in practice when they fight. If they abide by it always

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the screenshots I think you need to rotate your hip over more. Turning the base further would give you that. Your standing leg finishes inbound of your hips, I would suggest giving yourself a bit more distance, rotating the standing foot more and extending your hips.

As for the chamber, watching the video I think it's coming up when it could come round more. A basic test is to try kicking over the back of a chair. You should be able to go over without knocking the chair over.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
From the screenshots I think you need to rotate your hip over more. Turning the base further would give you that. Your standing leg finishes inbound of your hips, I would suggest giving yourself a bit more distance, rotating the standing foot more and extending your hips.

As for the chamber, watching the video I think it's coming up when it could come round more. A basic test is to try kicking over the back of a chair. You should be able to go over without knocking the chair over.

But if my knee is parallell to the ground when connecting compared to vertical? Which is the proper roundkick configuration?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
DWx wrote:

But if my knee is parallell to the ground when connecting compared to vertical? Which is the proper roundkick configuration?

Whenever I do a side kick or a roundhouse kick, my kicking knee is pointing to the side as my support foot turns 180 degrees away from the target.

If I do a front kick, my kicking knee is pointing up. If I do a back kick, my kicking knee is pointing down as I turn my supporting foot 180 degrees away from the target.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: