Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Is your training obvious? Reply with quote

Some martial arts teachers who have many years of experience have been known to have the ability to tell after just a short time whether or not someone has any experience in martial arts. What are the signs that might indicate someone has any experience in martial arts? Is it really possible to know this at first glance or in a short time after meeting someone?

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Some martial arts teachers who have many years of experience have been known to have the ability to tell after just a short time whether or not someone has any experience in martial arts. What are the signs that might indicate someone has any experience in martial arts? Is it really possible to know this at first glance or in a short time after meeting someone?
A big yes!

Not much different than a person that can drive a car or not, it takes time and practice to do it correctly.

I would also say that a person's karate or kung fu can be found to be; excellent, good, bad or poor, in skill regarding; strength, accuracy, capabilities and functionality...

Last edited by Alan Armstrong on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!!

Likewise practitioners of the MA can tell quite quickly; it's like the moth drawn to the light.

Other MAist's, especially those who've been on the floor for quite some time, can almost immediately recognize another MAist, even those who've not much time on the floor.

There's a certain quality that can be denied from one MAist to another MAist. Way one walks, talks, mannerism, movement, and the like are quite identifiable by another MAist, and once again, especially by one's who've been on the floor for quite awhile.

Signs can't be avoidable...signs can't be covered...signs can't be disguised...signs can't be misunderstood...signs can't be waved off...signs can't be denied, so on and so forth; there's an unquestionable tone of truth that can be easily spotted if the person that stands before you is either a MAist or isn't a MAist...ahem...the proof is on the floor!!

It takes another MA to recognize another MAist. Either one is or one isn't!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

I restarted karate going on 3 years ago, after an almost 15 year break. New teacher and organization, very close syllabus (my previous organization was started by 2 former Seido senseis). I spoke at length to my current CI about my previous experience, reasons for leaving, and reasons for coming back. He knew many of the people I knew, as he occasionally under trained the people who founded my previous organization (they were all Kyokushin and later Seido back then). I only told him and his right-hand man about my previous experience without them asking me.

All of the senior students at one point or another asked me where I trained previously, even though I was a white belt. Some of the questions/comments that stood out...

Where’d you train before? You don’t move like a white belt.

I don’t treat you like a white belt when I spar with you because you’re not really a white belt.

What rank did you leave your last school at?

We’ve got a student who just joined a few weeks ago. It took all of about 30 seconds of sparring with her for me to realize she’s trained somewhere previously. So after class I asked her “where did you train before?”

What’s the easiest giveaway? They know how to punch, kick, and move. The basics are different between organizations, so you can be thrown off a bit during kihon. But once you spar, it’s easy to tell IMO. At least if they were any good previously.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of the signs that can be observed immediately at first meeting? Things besides obvious visible signs such as appearance(hands, for example)? Is it something about the way they express themselves or maybe body language or attitude?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
What are some of the signs that can be observed immediately at first meeting? Things besides obvious visible signs such as appearance(hands, for example)? Is it something about the way they express themselves or maybe body language or attitude?

I’ll reply about what I saw in the student I mentioned in my previous post.

All relative to an absolute beginner...
She knew how to actually punch and kick.
She threw combinations instead of single techniques.
Her combinations were controlled and not haymakers.
She didn’t back up very much when blocking, vs the typical constantly moving straight back.
She blocked punches wrist to wrist instead of slapping away at them and/or having her hands “glued” to her chest; kicks were blocked correctly too.
She wasn’t holding her breath and tensing up.
She punched and kicked in a fluid combo rather than kicks being an afterthought or being forced.

All of that said, I’d place her somewhere around 4th-5th kyu in terms of sparring compared to the norm in our school. I have no idea what rank she left her former school at nor how long ago it was. She’s been at our school about 3 weeks, and a few days ago was the first time I’ve sparred with her. I haven’t watched her much outside of sparring with her because I’ve always been taking class too and focused on my training. Her kihon is a bit different than ours, she doesn’t know any of our kata outside of what she’s been taught by our teacher, and she doesn’t know our standardized stuff, so she’s appropriately a 10th kyu. I’m sure she’ll progress quicker than average with that stuff.

Edit: She was at a Tang Soo Do school a few hours away, just moving to our area recently. Her sparring is in line with ours - continuous and not point fighting.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is your training obvious? Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

The answer you seek is contained in body language.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it probably does have something to do with body language. Much like the way a predatory criminal choses a target based on whether or not the person would be easily attacked and overwhelmed.

Maybe there are some specific details about body language or attitude by which a martial artist can spot another potential martial artist. Posture, for instance. A person with a consistently good posture while walking or standing usually has had to learn this somewhere.

People with consistently good posture are likely good physical shape and are accustomed to intense activity. This activity could come from their occupation, athletic sports and of course training in martial arts.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Yes, it probably does have something to do with body language. Much like the way a predatory criminal choses a target based on whether or not the person would be easily attacked and overwhelmed.

Maybe there are some specific details about body language or attitude by which a martial artist can spot another potential martial artist. Posture, for instance. A person with a consistently good posture while walking or standing usually has had to learn this somewhere.

People with consistently good posture are likely good physical shape and are accustomed to intense activity. This activity could come from their occupation, athletic sports and of course training in martial arts.
Visual communictions speak louder than words, this is an integral part of martial arts.

Fight or flight, a proficient martial artist knows when it is the right time to use both, wheras a novice does not.

I am visually sized up every day, if I can fight or not, when going to or coming from my workout, in a jungle gym park, this never actually happens in the park, people just give me a little more space to do my thing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my previous post, a MAist can recognize a MAist right off the initial meeting.

Those unintended clues shout out because of the unavoidable likewise mannerism's that are caught immediately. A MAist isn't, or imho shouldn't be, boisterous whatsoever. Confident, but measured!!

A MAist has enough about them through both their knowledge and experience, and having been on the floor, don't stick out in any type of bad light. A MAist, even if they're new to the dojo, have a more than noticeable calmness as to the surroundings; the dojo floor is the one place that they feel at ease through and through. While they might not know the Kun of that particular dojo, they've been on a dojo before, in which they already know enough dojo etiquette to not have that deer-caught-in-the-headlights look.

Same thing with Kumite. A MAist, even a 10th kyu who's been on the floor before, has the familiarity to not be surprised and all. Nonetheless, a MAist that's been on the floor for some time, have that familiarity of Kumite. Again, their Kumite mannerism's are there, and very much so is their polished level of movements.

Another MAist can recognize noticeable mannerism's right off the bat, I know I can!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: