Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree with the blue belt thing. I've seen some of them teach....they are not very good. I have little rolling experence but I have beaten some of them. You see in america most of them are just making money. I commend your school if it is actually teaching for something other than money. I dont think you respect other arts because you should say that BBJ can beat Blackbelts in other arts. That all depends on the person I hope you know.

As for most style being half way to black belt in two years. Well I have been in my style for 10 years. Im still not a black belt. My style average time to get a black belt is 9 years.

Only 3 people have completed it in less than 4 years.

(Although now people may get it sooner....I personally think the style is starting to get softer in discipline to get more students which I dont agree with)

I have nothing agains BBJ but it is getting to where the only ones I respect are the Gracies and the Machados (spelling?)

Sambo is a good art that is not discussed to much. It can be a very good art.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-20 14:44, BlueDragon1981 wrote:
I would have to disagree with the blue belt thing. I've seen some of them teach....they are not very good.

I never made a generalization. I was simply speaking about one of the fine grapplers who teaches me, who is a blue belt. He has owned his own TKD studio for many years and is one of the best martial arts instructors, without a doubt, in my area (I have seen many teach). In any art there are teachers who are definitely up to par. Even blackbelts can be the most technically perfect artist, but not have any teaching skills whatsoever. I, personally, at such an early stage in my BJJ training, would rather learn the basics and intermediate rules as well as I have been than learn all the most intricate and advanced technique from a person who doesn't have, what can i say, a "knack" for teaching.

Quote:

As for most style being half way to black belt in two years. Well I have been in my style for 10 years. Im still not a black belt. My style average time to get a black belt is 9 years.

Again, you must realize that the words "most" and "many" imply generalizations. The general time in BJJ is 9 or 10 years as well, but BJ Penn got his in 4. It all depends on the practitioner, yes I realize that. Good luck on reaching your black belt

Quote:

I have nothing agains BBJ but it is getting to where the only ones I respect are the Gracies and the Machados (spelling?)

Hum, to me, that sounds kind of like saying you only respect Gichin Funakoshi's decendants or Jigoro Kano's, or General Choi's, etc. etc. You get my point.

Quote:

Sambo is a good art that is not discussed to much. It can be a very good art.

Sambo, believe it or not, is the art that drew me into grappling. I had heard about the art from a friend and tried to locate a sambo school near me, but couldn't find one. After practicing BJJ for a while, I know I identify more with the style than I would have Sambo, but I would readily take on that art and am enthusiastic that anyone interested in grappling (especially their devastating leglocks) would benefit greatly from Sambo training.

Girls kick butt!

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt mean to get you in an uproar

I just see a lot of the ones in this area I quess. A lot of it is a money making scheme

I do respect it just saying if you want to take it seek out a good teacher and know their rank. Some have black belt who only have blue belts really. (I know that goes with a lot of style though) BJ Penn Is good but a little to ****y. (Sure he could kick my a@# though)

I dont mean to get you mad but I do feel a lot of them are just teaching for money as with any other art. I don't like a blue belt having their own school because of the gracie name (do you know what Im getting at..)

Sambo isnt around here either but I have seen it a little and researched it. It does have killer leg locks that is why I want to learn it. I dont have many.

Sorry if I offended you

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get offended at all, sorry, I think you mistook my tone or something. I'm not mad, just extremely passionate. I take BJJ for free two times a week (interesting circumstances), and although I see what you are saying, it doesn't apply to me. I know I'm learning from qualified people. As far as making money off the Gracie name, I would have to say that is bound to happen in any art. TKD being my first art, I definitely see a lot of schools in my area becomoing McDojangs and watering down their curriculum and requirements. I am of the personal opinion that the way BJJ is taught in the United States is the closest to "remaining pure" that a total system has been. I know that the basics I've learned are the same ones Helio would have taught me.

Girls kick butt!

Tapout
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... since I eat, sleep and train Sambo I'll give you an idea of the sport.
Sambo or (Cambo) is Russian for "self-defence without weapons" It's was developed in the 1930's by the former USSR for military use. In the 60's and 70's it became sport and trained nation wide. Sambo is a combination of Greco-Roman Wrestling and Judo that HEAVILY trains in submissions, throws, takedowns and grappling. It's best known for leg locks and an aggresive style of grappling which may deter newcomers to this combat sport.

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what you said from my research. What I want to know is why America doesnt have to many Sambo schools? Is it exclusive to one area? Is it because its Russian?

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue dragon where do you live , blue belts should not be teaching they are barely considered advanced students , purple belts in bjj are qualified to teach not blue
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: