Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KingBuddha
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Judo.....Ju Jitsu Gi? Reply with quote

Hey so yea, im almost certain im going to take up Ju Jitsu, one problem however is that when i search the internet for Ju Jitsu Gi's its comes up Judo Gi's now am i just being naive and you can use Judo for Ju Jitsu? this is very very confusing atm

KingBuddha
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this isnt the right place to post this question....wasnt sure if it was "equipment" what with it being about Gi's etc or if it was "getting started" because well it kinda relates to both

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U are in the right place, and yes, U can use a judo gi for jujitsu. Now the only preference will be if u want a single or double weave uniform, white, off white, or blue uniform

SevenStar
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: bjj, judo, shuai chiao, muay thai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can, but there are things to consider:

- a judo gi has a longer skirt, it can be used to tie you or choke you. I have tapped several people from sidemount by choking them with their own gi.

- a judo gi has a softer lapel - easier to choke you with.

- will you be entering judo and jiu-jitsu competitions? If so, you want to make sure the gi is white, unless you get more than one - you can't competein judo with a blue gi.

-in judo, you can't compete with a gi that has all of the patches, a la a bjj gi.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playwell UK sells specific JuJitsu gi's. I think you have to request them, though - not sure if they're in the main catalogue anymore.

Or, you could try asking at the club when you go for your first lesson. They'll be able to advise you on what sort of gi to get. Many club instructors also sell gi's and equipment to raise money for the club. You might be able to buy your gi from the JuJitsu school.

Sheffield Steelers!

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems like there are judo gis everywhere and jujitsu gis are hard to find. Juka sells a good quality jujitsu gi for a good price you might want to check them out. www.juka.com a judo gi will work just fine but it all depends on what you want

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that has to do with volume of practioners of judo vs jiujitsu. I've never bought a jiujitsu gi but I like www.hatashita.com for judo ones.

After looking at the site just now, they do have one bjj gi but it is only listed under global and the canadian site.

username9
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to find a decent Ju Jitsu Gi.

I use my heavy weight karate Gi - no problems YET!

I want one of the Adidas JJ MACHADO Gi's - but i dunno enough about them to shell out for one!

Let me know if you find anything out ppl!

But back on topic - I couldn't even get one from a Martial Arts shop - he just dismissed me with the comment "Most ppl use a Judo Gi" and my reply was - "I don't want a Judo Gi - I want a JU JISTU GI! (*!)"

rb
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: judo, bjj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaxevolution,

When I hear jiujitsu gi/kimono, I think bjj. However, when a lot of ppl hear jujutsu they think of the japenese variety. Aikido, jjj all use judogi although they might opt to use a hakama as well. Judo is huge world wide, making judogi mass produced and affordable. They are designed for the rigors of throwing and groundwork. Judo is the product of three styles of jujutsu btw.

Aside from the the differences that sevenstar stated, the bjj gis i've seen are a bit tighter in the body and sleeve. If you can't find a bjj gi the closest thing i've seen cut wise is the mizuno eurocomp. Shorter skirt, stiffer and leaner fit.

Type in a few key words in google and you will pull up tons of internet shops.

username9
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - cheers. Still wqnt an adidas Gi - but that is cos it looks cool and I want to pose in it! LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: