Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Mikie Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Just a Question Reply with quote

My question to you is that is it possible to get into bigger Tornaments or do I have to get sponsored or something. I seem to be competing in the same small events every year... they tent to get boring.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live? In what art are you competing? Competing, at least in BJJ, only has to do with what's available to you...anyone can enter most of the big tournaments around here; they don't even have to be affiliated with a school to compete. The cost of tournaments is indeed a little steep in jiu-jitsu - $50-$70 but I think in the bigger ones it's well worth it because you get a few fights. I hope I helped. Post more specifically so we can answer your questions more precisely!
Girls kick butt!

Mikie Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you must know, I am 16 years old, quite small for my age and have been in training for 3 years.
Just recently I competed in tournament and won first place, this is my third completion in a row that I have won at, I even lied on my registration form and said I was 18 so I could compete in the mens freestyle Super feather weight division. I ended up only having one fight where I finished him of in about 21 seconds with a knee bar.

Anyway I keep getting letters from the Competions saying I have qualifed to fight down in Mexico for the world martial art games but i don't realy understand it?

Sid Vicious
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Grappling

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. That must be really cool getting invited to something like that.

Mikie Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did alot of Pankration & Sport ju jitsu tornaments when I was younger, i mainly stopped doing them when i relized i didn't want my nose broken. So now i mainly stick to my Freestyle grappling and Brazilian Jujitsu. Even though I was tought Sport Ju-jitsu but it's mainly the same ground work.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on BJJ & Grappling Web pages. They always have info about up comming tournaments.
Then get the money and go where the tournament is going to be.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mike if u don't like all these little tournaments get a few friends together and sponsor a tournament at a big dojo, charge ppl like 6$ entry and like 20$ to compete , than have a 5$ charge for gi division. not only will you customize your own tournament but youll make some pocket cash, thats what i did,

IM ONLY 16 AND TONS OF PPL CAME TO MY TOURNAMENT

Mikie Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the tips guys, i'll see what i can do about holding an inter school comp
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: