Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Kaicho, Kancho, Soke, Dai Soke, Shihan & Dai Shihan! Reply with quote

Kaicho, Kancho, Soke, Dai Soke, Shihan & Dai Shihan, or any other "Title"!

Do we actually need these Titles for Non Japanese or Korean or Chinese Etc "Masters" of the arts, Heads of Styles etc?

I don't really feel the need for them, I can't comment on Korean or Chinese Arts (I hope someone can add details for me), But i believe Titles are only Valid if awarded IN Japan, Not Self-Awarded because they were a Senior Grade in the style they broke away from then gave themselves a 10th Dan type stuff.

To me Master/Sir, Sensei, Teacher, Sifu, Sa Bum Nim should be enough!

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly don't see why any title is necessary. I have my students call me Bill. Have for years. And I still, somehow, am respected. Perhaps because respect is earned...not bestowed in a title.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kaicho, Kancho, Soke, Dai Soke, Shihan & Dai Shihan! Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:
I don't really feel the need for them, I can't comment on Korean or Chinese Arts (I hope someone can add details for me), But i believe Titles are only Valid if awarded IN Japan, Not Self-Awarded because they were a Senior Grade in the style they broke away from then gave themselves a 10th Dan type stuff.

In the style of TKD I do we don't really have them. We have are the equivalents of (assistant) teacher, master and grandmaster but these titles go with rank rather than awarded based on some other criteria. Some Korean systems also use kwanjang nim for the head of the school and/or possibly jangsa nim for chief instructor but I don't think you'll find as many terms.

I disagree. Something like Kancho (head of the school?*) can be self-awarded. Ignoring whether the person is qualified enough or holds high enough rank to create their own system, I think a term like Kancho, Kaicho or Soke is appropriate as you are the leader or you are the founder of the system. It might not be necessary to have such titles when its just you and a relatively small school, but say you had a number of instructors below you and a whole network of schools, then I think a title conferring leadership is pretty appropriate. As much as we'd like there to be completely no politics in martial arts, a clear hierarchy is sometimes quite useful and a title like Kancho or Kaicho clearly marks who is in charge.

This does raise the question of whether you should be using Japanese titles outside of Japan but I think if your martial art is inherently Japanese/Okinawan and you wish to train in that language, then why shouldn't you use these terms?

*(btw, if someone could explain the difference between Kancho and Kaicho to me as if I'm an idiot I'd be grateful My Japanese terminology isn't very good and I get mixed up between the two!)

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaicho, Kancho, Soke, Dai Soke, Shihan & Dai Shihan! Reply with quote

Dobbersky wrote:

In my school that's all we have! Mr., Mrs., Sir, Sensei, Master, and occasionally grandmaster. That's all you really need in my opinion.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kaicho, Kancho, Soke, Dai Soke, Shihan & Dai Shihan! Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Dobbersky wrote:

In the style of TKD I do we don't really have them. We have are the equivalents of (assistant) teacher, master and grandmaster but these titles go with rank rather than awarded based on some other criteria. Some Korean systems also use kwanjang nim for the head of the school and/or possibly jangsa nim for chief instructor but I don't think you'll find as many terms.

I disagree. Something like Kancho (head of the school?*) can be self-awarded. Ignoring whether the person is qualified enough or holds high enough rank to create their own system, I think a term like Kancho, Kaicho or Soke is appropriate as you are the leader or you are the founder of the system. It might not be necessary to have such titles when its just you and a relatively small school, but say you had a number of instructors below you and a whole network of schools, then I think a title conferring leadership is pretty appropriate. As much as we'd like there to be completely no politics in martial arts, a clear hierarchy is sometimes quite useful and a title like Kancho or Kaicho clearly marks who is in charge.

This does raise the question of whether you should be using Japanese titles outside of Japan but I think if your martial art is inherently Japanese/Okinawan and you wish to train in that language, then why shouldn't you use these terms?

*(btw, if someone could explain the difference between Kancho and Kaicho to me as if I'm an idiot I'd be grateful My Japanese terminology isn't very good and I get mixed up between the two!)

Danielle,

Within Shindokan; Kaicho means President and Kancho means Vice-President. The word "Kaicho" was chosen by our Soke, and the word "Kancho" was chosen by our Dai-Soke.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For each Shindokanist, Titles, as described in the OP, have always been a big part of our/my martial arts training. Our titles mean nothing, and they shouldn't mean anything, to anyone outside of Shindokan. Our titles are ONLY USED DURING FORMAL SETTINGS. That was decreed by our Soke and Dai-Soke; therefore, titles are used appropriately 24/7.

It's not wrong, imho, because our Soke and Dai-Soke were both born and raised in Okinawa, and for the student body to expect them to change across the board isn't possible or sensible. They are who and what they are, and in that, the entire student body respects them wholeheartedly and sincerely; and they have earned our respect.

What other language(s) should our Soke and Dai-Soke kowtow to besides their own native tongue? To say that their English is terrible wouldn’t be far off. It’s choppy, it’s unclear, and it’s not understood at times. That’s not important to us, but what’s important is that we respect their culture. They may not have mastered the English language, but what’s clear to us, their students, is that they’ve mastered their martial arts, especially Shindokan. The two cultures seem to work in harmony.

Whenever I'm on the floor for class I don't require, nor would I allow, any Shindokan student to address me and/or any hierarchy member by our OFFICIAL TITLES. To me, that's inappropriate! Here, and in any informal setting...my name is Bob, that's all, nothing more. When I trained with Brian [Bushido_man96] last summer, we only called each other by our first names because it was appropriate and I know I wouldn’t have allowed it any other way, and I’m quite sure, Brain wouldn’t have allowed it any other way either.

Quote:

To me the bold names above should only be valid and/or used in Japan/Korea/China. If so, they shouldn’t be used either.

I don't think I should have to apologize for upholding the only practice(s) that we, students of Soke and Dai-Soke, have always known and practiced. It seems quite natural for us. I don't use our Official Titles disrespectfully, nor do I use them to make me seem more important than any man/woman/boy/girl. No. I use them because our Soke and Dai-Soke taught us many things besides just Shindokan.

For me to address Soke and Dai-Soke any other way in a formal setting, is a sign of disrespect to them across the board. In an informal setting, I've always addressed either of them by their first names or their last name ending with 'Sensei', and that's because of it just being a habit that's ingrained in my speech.

I address Soke and Dai-Soke here at KF, for example, for the simple reason...RESPECT!!

I ‘m addressed as Kaicho in all formal setting while performing the duties of my office because it's been decreed to do so in our By-Laws, and I will obey the wishes and commands of our Soke and/or Dai-Soke. It’s for the respect for the office, and nothing more. For example, I don't think that most people would address the President of the United States by his first name, no, and that’s because one respects the office. A captain wouldn’t address any of his/her superiors by their first name, no, and that’s because one respects the office. A captain salutes a major because the salute isn’t for the man/woman, no, it’s for the rank. Formality should be everything whenever it’s due and appropriate.

In what way does our formality offend? How is our formality hurting anybody? How does our formality upset anyone?

If I’ve offended and/or hurt and/or upset anyone, then my decision will be clear.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm uncomfortable being anything but Bill, or maybe Sensei Bill. But, every group has their own thing.

I do think the Japanese will be upset when they find out they have to go to the U.K. to be coach, head coach, or president of their boxing club.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
I'm uncomfortable being anything but Bill, or maybe Sensei Bill. But, every group has their own thing.

I do think the Japanese will be upset when they find out they have to go to the U.K. to be coach, head coach, or president of their boxing club.

Dude! Don't tell them! Angry Japanese boxing sensei storming the dojo..err gym in there shorts...Gi. Dang it, now I'm doing it too. (Sorry, had to have a bit of fun)

For me it all comes down to tradition and comfort. If your lines tradition is to use titles, or not, I'd stick with that. More over, if you aren't comfortable with a title, using or not, don't. That's all a matter of respect though. If I've earned the title and someone uses it, respectfully, cool. If I'd prefer not to be addressed by the title, that's respect as well.

RJCKarate
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashiryu Karatedo Kobujutsu, Yamaneryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the exact clarification of what Kancho and Kaicho are, here is the following:

Kan 館 means place/house
Kai 会 mean association
Cho 長 means head/chief

So, Kancho would mean 'Head of House (dojo)' this in Okinawa is generally used for the head of a dojo (/chief instructor). It can often be used interchangeably with dojocho and is generally what all owner of dojo in Okinawa are referred to as.

Kaicho would mean 'head of association' this in Okinawa is generally used for the head (figure or not) of the wider association. Generally, Kaicho would be considered higher.

I would, however, like to clarify that you don't generally address someone as the above when talking to them, you would call them sensei - this includes basically all titles: hanshi, kyoshi, renshi, shihan. Mind you, this is my experience from Okinawa arts, not saying it is gospel!

I think it would be strange to use the titles if you did not practice an art that aligned with the language that you were using (i.e. Japanese & karate). But, I do an Okinawan art, I dress in a gi, and I operate a dojo, so my students call me sensei.

Cheers,
1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translations are tricky things. Kancho, translating into English as "Head of House" would be interpreted by people where I'm from as "father" or more casually "dad." And while after a long time within a system, this is a somewhat appropriate relationship for one to have...I can't imagine coming in off the street and calling some guy "dad" while he punches my face in.

Even Sensei, when understood to mean "teacher," feels a little weird to my particular brand of English. Teacher is more reserved for an educator who teaches a lower level than college.

To me, in a non-sport martial art, "Instructor" seems to hold the same connotation in English as I'm told that "Sensei" does in Japanese. In a sport-based martial art, Coach seems to be a much more appropriate title.

Ultimately, I completely understand calling someone by a title from the art's home country, it makes things a little more universal. For those in an area where foreign visitors aren't common, and a need to appeal to the masses is greater...then perhaps common language is more appropriate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: