Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Kama kata Kohbu Nicho Gama Reply with quote

A few years ago, before the pandemic hit I had just learnt the kata Kohbu Nicho Gama however in the time since then I have forgotten and had to relearn much of the kata but cannot for the life of me remember all the angles and there seems to be a wide variation in the angles used in videos online? Are the change of grip sequences performed at 45 degree angles towards the back of the dojo? Are the final two sequences (with the two slashes, double strike downward into kosa dachi double strike to the sides each) performed at 45 degrees towards the front of the dojo?

Those are the two main bits which I struggle to remember and have a lot of variation online or is simply hard to see what the direction is due to the camera angle.

Any help would be massively appreciated

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kama kata Kohbu Nicho Gama Reply with quote

BoothJ9 wrote:
Are the change of grip sequences performed at 45 degree angles towards the back of the dojo?

I learned the kata as a part of the Matayoshi Kobudo lineage...not sure where you got yours...

With that said, are you talk about right after the kiai and you have moved quite a bit? If so, then no. In the version that I learned, you have the kiai and then you do the grip change as you are turning. You are then moving straight back...so the turn is from front to back with a straight ahead movement towards what was your rear.

BoothJ9 wrote:

Are the final two sequences (with the two slashes, double strike downward into kosa dachi double strike to the sides each) performed at 45 degrees towards the front of the dojo?

Hmmm...I am beginning to think we might be talking about different katas. So, just to ask again...this is Matayoshi Kobudo?

And, also to be clear, when you say kosa-dachi (交差立) you are referring to the cross or crossing step...like in Naihanchi? I only ask because the version of the kata that I learned had no kosa-dachi. It is possible that you or your sensei learned it differently (assuming Matayoshi). I do know that Matayoshi Sensei showed things differently to different people.

Let me ask you this...in the version you are referring to, are there any (or alot) of low level cuts to the attacker's legs (the back of their legs)? If so, a different kata.

Sorry I could not help more, but I am willing to help more if I can get on the same page with you.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, BoothJ9; glad that you're here!!

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way thank you for the reply tatsujin.

Quote:
Let me ask you this...in the version you are referring to, are there any (or alot) of low level cuts to the attacker's legs (the back of their legs)? If so, a different kata.

Yes, it does seem we're talking about different katas, here is a video of the kata that I have learnt but as I was saying due to the plain floor and background along with the changing camera angles it is very difficult to see exaclty which angle certain sequences are aimed towards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWpKCETGXSg

edit: Spelling and formatting

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so the gentleman in the video you linked to is Nishiushi Mikio. He is a very high ranking yudansha that trained directly under Matayoshi Sensei on Okinawa.

I learned that kata under a different name...that's one of the reasons why I asked about the hooking techniques to the back of the lower leg.

You are not able to make out the moves on the video?

Yes, the moves after the grip change are being done at a 45 to the rear.

Also yes, the final moves at the end are also done at a 45 back towards the front.

That is a clip from a series of kobudo videos Nishiushi did for Panther back in the day. They were a pretty good set, especially for what was available at the time. I guess the gray color they used with the moving camera angle can be confusing.

Hope that helps.

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
OK...so the gentleman in the video you linked to is Nishiushi Mikio. He is a very high ranking yudansha that trained directly under Matayoshi Sensei on Okinawa.

I learned that kata under a different name...that's one of the reasons why I asked about the hooking techniques to the back of the lower leg.

You are not able to make out the moves on the video?

Yes, the moves after the grip change are being done at a 45 to the rear.

Also yes, the final moves at the end are also done at a 45 back towards the front.

That is a clip from a series of kobudo videos Nishiushi did for Panther back in the day. They were a pretty good set, especially for what was available at the time. I guess the gray color they used with the moving camera angle can be confusing.

Hope that helps.

It helps a lot, thank you. I suspected that it was at 45 degree angles but the grey background made it difficult to be sure. Also, thank you for the fascinating history behind the video as well. That is just as valuable to me. Just practise, practise and a bit more practise to improve on technique and precision now.

Thank you very much

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoothJ9 wrote:

It helps a lot, thank you. I suspected that it was at 45 degree angles but the grey background made it difficult to be sure. Also, thank you for the fascinating history behind the video as well. That is just as valuable to me. Just practise, practise and a bit more practise to improve on technique and precision now.

Thank you very much

Well, I am glad to finally be able to get on the same page with you and create a little towards the conversation.

Do you study Matayoshi Kobudo or any of the other Matayoshi katas? If so, try to find a set of Nishiushi Sensei's videos. They are a really good reference set. Not alot out there on Matayoshi kobudo...

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
Do you study Matayoshi Kobudo or any of the other Matayoshi katas? If so, try to find a set of Nishiushi Sensei's videos. They are a really good reference set. Not alot out there on Matayoshi kobudo...

I do not study Matayoshi Kobudo. The only reason I am practising this kata is because it was introduced to me during a quiet higher grade class and then it fizzed out since then. I was the only one who continued to practise the beginning sequence I'd been taught. I then decided to search the internet to find a video of it just to learn it on the side sort of thing. I enjoy dabbling in kobudo katas every now and again.

Sorry for taking so long, I've been very busy as of late
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: