Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Karate and Kempo/Kenpo Reply with quote

How are Karate and Kempo different?

Are they related?

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate comes from okinawa, kempo was oringinally chinese. Many of the founders of the karate styles founded their style on a basis of chinese kempo and okinawan Te.

I AM CANADIAN

Last edited by LeaF on Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases the word has become part of a style name, eg "Ed Parker's Kempo".

However, originally it is just a word that refers to martial arts. It means "fist method" or "fist system". In Chinese it is pronounced Quan Fa. On Okinawa it was pronounced Kempo. (or Kenpo). It is often translated as "boxing" in the west. Many early karate masters have referred to their art as kempo - Funakoshi's first book was originally titled something like "Ryukyu Kenpo Karate", with the "karate" written as "China Hand" as well. (To-te).

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai,

As everyone said Karate/Kempo-Kenpo are related in the sense that it is derived from Chinese Chuan-Fa and then brought to Okinawa back in the day. Many of the Kempo/Kenpo systems has many katas that are similar in name/looks as that of the Japanese or Okinawan systems. Some schools of Kempo/Kenpo are different in the sense that they tend to lean more towards the chinese side of martial arts.

The one thing that I know, at least in the Kenpo system I was in, we had more self defense sets, unlike many or the traditional karate systems. Although kata was part of our training, it was the self defense that was largely emphasized over kata training. I've learn throughout the years tho that kata is a very important aspect of my training and I try to do both equally. Well hope this was of some help.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, was indeed helpful.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: