Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Karate kids Reply with quote

Yesterday I went to a karate competition (broke my big toe in the kumite, but that's another story...) and there were loads of children there (as there usually are at karate comps). Some of them were as young as 4 or 5 and a lot of the children aged around 7/8 seemed to have black belts.

This got me thinking about children doing karate. What age do people think it's right to let children start training? Should they be training at all or should they have to wait until 16/18ish, say, to be able to begin the martial arts. I know a large proportion of most clubs are filled with junior students, but do people think this is right? My sensei refuses to take any child to teach under the age of 9. Is this a good age to start karate or not?

Sheffield Steelers!

Hybrid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Karate kids Reply with quote

aefibird wrote:
Yesterday I went to a karate competition (broke my big toe in the kumite, but that's another story...) and there were loads of children there (as there usually are at karate comps). Some of them were as young as 4 or 5 and a lot of the children aged around 7/8 seemed to have black belts.

This got me thinking about children doing karate. What age do people think it's right to let children start training? Should they be training at all or should they have to wait until 16/18ish, say, to be able to begin the martial arts. I know a large proportion of most clubs are filled with junior students, but do people think this is right? My sensei refuses to take any child to teach under the age of 9. Is this a good age to start karate or not?

IMO, teens or early teens is a good time to start. Nine is a little early, depends on the kid. When I was really young (7) and I was in MA, I didn't really understand jack and my heart wasn't in it. Then there's always the matter that children may need self-defense. A lot of schools (McDojo's mostly) aim at kids because that's where all the green (money) is at.

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily we don´t much mcdojos in Finland.

Darce
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shukokai Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in our dojo, you can begin when you are 7 years old. But you have to be 16 years old to get 2. dan or higher. If you get the 1st dan when under that age you have to update it from a junior belt to a "real black belt".

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to teach kids (I don't any more) as young as 6, but advised the parents when they signed them up that (IMO) between the ages of 6 and 8 are "iffy" as to whether or not they will be able to do what I ask them to do.

I make sure they understand this, and also advise them that if I don't feel their son/daughter is ready, I will tell them so and they can pull them out of class.

Some kids you will know within the first couple of classes how they will do, others can take up to two months. Personally, any kid younger that 6 years old I would consider it to be babysitting (always exceptions of course), and you're taking kids that young for the money. Which is fine, if that's your thing..but not me.

As for belts, my personal philosophy is that I don't give black belts (junior or otherwise) to someone younger than 16..and they have to be a MATURE 16 year old at that. Not all 16 year olds are at the same maturity level by any means.

I think the perfect age for a person to start training is around 14-16 years old. But any age is fine.

Jey
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Jorukai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a year ago around the 15 and a half mark, and I feel that should I have started any earlier I wouldn't have bothered sticking with it. As it stands now, I understand more of my body and I am committed to keeping my fitness up.

Dispite not wanting to take gradings, I feel I started at the right age, and will continue karate for some time.

stl_karateka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu & Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the kid! I know some 6 year olds that operate on a higher maturity level than some 9 year olds -- or 14 year olds for that matter!

My school in Rochester started kids at 4 -- but it wasn't all about the Benjamins --- for one thing...they were on a conditional contract. Also, we had a class that catered to the needs and abilities of 4-6 year olds. The focus was not so much to teach them the katas and self defense...but the focus was on balance, concentration, and memory....skills that they would utilize when they 'graduated' to the big kids class.

My current school takes kids at 6...sometimes I think my instructor wants to raise it --- but its a hard call cause the kids class all are expected to do the same thing --- most of the kids hang in there --- a few need extra attention.

telsun
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju-ryu, Ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started karate at 11 and am still doing it now 17 years later. I was mature for my age. I am now teaching my daughter, 5 years old, karate because she wants be be like me!!!!!??????
When I start my own dojo again I am unsure as to whether I will teach kids at all. If I do I will only take in a few as they can be extremely trying to teach, although extremely rewarding. The thing with teaching kids is that you can really only teach the superficial stuff, basically how to compete. I do think that they will benefit given the right instruction but the moral side of the arts is probably the most beneficial area on offer to them. Obviously if a child starts young and maintains their training all the superficial techniques will eventually become skillfull moves with depth.

Should a club take on a 5 year old? Well they can become very skilled in their movement and benefit greatly from training, so yes I think so. If the instructor is comfortable with it. Although as stated above it is unlikely that I will take any younger than 10. Should they receive BB at a young age? Erm......no, I don't think they can show the responsibility required for the grade............or can they?

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_karateka wrote:
Depends on the kid! I know some 6 year olds that operate on a higher maturity level than some 9 year olds -- or 14 year olds for that matter!

Oh..no question on that..I've seen it many times also. I had a brother/sister in class, he was 8 and she was 6..best young students I've ever had!

Quote:
My school in Rochester started kids at 4 -- but it wasn't all about the Benjamins --- for one thing...they were on a conditional contract.

Benjamins??? What's that??? I've never liked contracts and don't use them, but I understand the reason they are used.

Quote:
Also, we had a class that catered to the needs and abilities of 4-6 year olds. The focus was not so much to teach them the katas and self defense...but the focus was on balance, concentration, and memory....skills that they would utilize when they 'graduated' to the big kids class.

Yes, you must be in a commercial school (trying to make money at it), thus the contracts and taking younger kids. I'm in a home dojo and not trying to make money off mine. I have in the past though, and taken just about anybody that had a pulse and could walk, or wheel in the door!

CsrCrz88
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the youngest black i kno is 14. he's a 3rd dan too.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: