Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Kicking. Reply with quote

Can someone suggest any exercises to strengthen the muscles in my hips? I was thinking about the ones we use when we do front kicks and sidekicks. I dont know the English word for it.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squats and Lunges. You can use weight or not. Just do them and your hips will get stronger. However the key to strong kicks is speed and hitting a target. So buy a heavy bag and just work you kicks on it.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not nocking g95
but if you plan on doing karate more than 10 years dont do squats, espically with weights.
I know about 15 over 35 instructors who have had kneesurgery or simply blown out their knee and been unable to train for a year or more..
Shotokan stance espciially are very very hard on the knees. with the added squats?/??? CRACK
JKA instructors used to make people walk in circles around gyms while doing duck walks, that is nasty.
i throw about 200 power kicks a day and stretch my hips 3 times a day when im training for a competiton.
thats the only work out i give myself in the hip department
(i throw 800 other kicks but those are for speed drills not power)

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to use ankle weights and do SLOW MOTION kicks at 1/2 or 1/4 speed. This will work the muscles you want as you want them. Do 20 slow kicks and you will feel it working.

DON'T: do full speed kicks with ankle weights and
DON'T: ever snap out your kicks with of without ankle weights on.

I'm aware that snapping out kicks is typical of traditional Karate (I understand it's to quickly retract the kick so it isn't grabbed). This is the worst thing you will ever do for your knees!!! and the reason i expect why people have a lot of knee trouble.

I am a Taekwondo-er I kick quite a bit typically 8 hrs a week for the last 10 years. My knees feel the pain which i must admit has been releaved by doing squats.

LOOK AFTER YOUR KNEES, YOU'LL MISS THEM WHEN THEY'RE GONE!!!

avoid twisting stretching of the knee joint

(sorry for all the capital letters, but i always hear people say 'don't use ankle weights'. in my opinion they are the only way to develope super human kcking ability and totally safe if used correctly)

Bretty

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
But what are squats, powerkicks, and lunges? Sorry for the ignorance.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: