Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Kung Fu vs Karate Reply with quote

What is the basic difference between karate and the chinese Martial Arts? I have been told that the Chinese emphasis is on building power by movement in a continuous arc while karate uses focus or Kime. Is this true? Any input would be great.

Thanks a lot

Xtreme Fury
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kung fu is generally more circular while karate is more linear(other then enshin and ashihara karate). Some chinese martial arts mimic animal movements which kinda looks funny , they have reeeaallly low stances, which again, looks funny(but as long as it trains leg strength i guess it doesnt matter).

that's all i can think of. Oh yeah.. in karate you have gi's and belts, kung fu usually has those shiny clothes and sashes.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you look at uprigh arts like Bagua, Wing-Chung, Hsing-I, etc. And liniar arts (WC and Hsing-I come again to mind).

There are many hundreds (thousands?) of arts called "Kung-fu", there are at least dozens of "Karate".

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kung-fu" in chinese, literally means "skill", and "Karate" in japanese means "hand or empy hand" So one must use a specific, for example "I study Wing Chun Kung-fu" Meaning I study wing chun skill, or skill of wing chun. The same is applied for Karate.."I study Goju Ryu Karate" Meaning, I study Hand of or Empty hand of 50 Dragon. So, when one wishes to compare japanese and chinese specifcally, "kung-fu" or "karate". You need to be specifc.

Animis Opibusque Parati

inyctrotter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kung fu in Chinese means hard work...

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.m-w.com
Main Entry: kung fu
Pronunciation: "k&[ng]-'fü, "ku[ng]-
Function: noun
Etymology: Chinese (Beijing) gOngfu skill, art

"If we refer to any chinese dictionary, we will find that the term Kung Fu (gong fu in pin yin¹) means (a) dexterity/skill, (b) art and (c) time.

Kung Fu means perfection and deep knowledge on any subject. Thus for example, if somebody is an excellent calligrapher or dancer, then we can say that "he has kung fu" in calligraphy or dancing.

Nevertheless, the term Kung Fu does not mean skill that is acquired from specialization - on the contrary, it refers to deep and complete knowledge of the subject and includes not only the present condition, but the whole period of time and the course through which one managed to reach the top." - http://www.eagleclaw.gr/en/articlew1.htm

Jade_Lotus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave a quick and simple definition. I said it means "skill". Am I wrong?? I didn't go into detail, you don't have to go into detail. Is there any other meaning to skill other then proficiency of any number of things? You have defined skill, your definition is right, and so is mine. To me there is no other definition to the word "skill" It is what you said, and I have said. I never said that kung-fu, is skill acquired from specialization, if you take time to read my post, I've said nothing contrary to what you have said. I don't know where you get your difference from. By your own definition, you only support what I said. I see no difference.

Animis Opibusque Parati

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was supporting your definition. You and inyctrotter seemed to be disagreeing (though you are both correct), so I elaborated to clarify. I'm sorry you seem to have taken it as an attack.

My statement could have been interpreted as simply an answer to the question. It could have been interpreted as support of your statement. It could have been interpreted as a disagreement with inyctrotter (though he's not wrong). But you decided to take it as some sort of criticism on your post (which I never mentioned or alluded to). I don't understand why you would choose to invent the worst-possible case for yourself and then assume it's true.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade,
you are translating goju incorrectly. GOju is a corruption of the two words in japanese that mean hard and soft. So actually it refers to both the hard and soft nature of the style. I could go into more detail if you like later.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS THAT KUNG FU FORMS TEND TO BE MORE FASTE FLOWING WITH KARATEKA KATA TEND TO BE LESS FLOWING. KARATE IS MORE LIKE ONE PUNCH KILL AND KUNG FU IS MORE FLOWING, LIKE HIT THE GUY 5 TIMES. LOOK AT A KUNG FU VIDEO AND A KARATE VIDEO,

I HAVE STUDIED KARATE AND PRAYING MANTIS

NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: