Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Kyokushin books Reply with quote

I have loads of books about Shotokan Karate and self defence in general, however having recently started in Kyokushin, I am interested in reading about it's history and principles etc.

Can anyone recommend some good books on the subject?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This Is Karate", by the man himself, Mas Oyama!!

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have a look at getting that at some point, want it in "real book" format not e-book...some things just don't feel right as an e-book

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you because there's nothing like handling a book; touching it, reading it, and learning something from it!! It's not cheap...Used are, $232.00 plus shipping. Not like it was when it first came out: It cost $50.00, a heavy price, even back then!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local library used to have it. I checked it out, tried to find a copy to no avail, and returned it. The library has "lost" it.

It's an excellent book, perhaps the best book on techniques that I've seen. Not worth the price it's commanding if you're not a collector though. If you're a collector or a Kyokushin die-hard, that's a whole other ball of wax.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
A local library used to have it. I checked it out, tried to find a copy to no avail, and returned it. The library has "lost" it.

It's an excellent book, perhaps the best book on techniques that I've seen. Not worth the price it's commanding if you're not a collector though. If you're a collector or a Kyokushin die-hard, that's a whole other ball of wax.

Ouch!! I think that library should've made Oyama's book a reference book only, and if for no other reason, the book isn't inexpensive, by any stretch of the imagination. A reference book, can't be checked out, and never returned!! Costly mistake for that poor library!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with too many Kyokushin books, however Tadashi Nakamura's "Karate: Technique and Spirit" is a very good book. Nakamura was Oyama's top student before he left Kyokushin, and I believe he wrote the book while Seido was still full contact. There's a newer version with a white paperback cover with only part of Nakamura's face visable. I haven't read that one, I've only read the old hardcover green version. I doubt there's much difference, but you never know.

I can't find my copy of it, but if I remember correctly it had a good amount of technique stuff in it, along with a lot of Nakamura's philosophy on MA and life in general. Easily one of the best books I've read, and I bought it way before I was in Seido, so the bias wasn't there when I bought it.

Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I believe it's about $30 or so here in the U.S.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

Ouch!! I think that library should've made Oyama's book a reference book only, and if for no other reason, the book isn't inexpensive, by any stretch of the imagination. A reference book, can't be checked out, and never returned!! Costly mistake for that poor library!!

Probably didn't realize what they had. I can't imagine it's easy to track the street value and availability of every book on their shelves. And I can't really see the librarians being karate buffs and holding an Oyama book sacred. If it was a Shakespeare book of equal value, that would be a completely different story.

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
I'm not familiar with too many Kyokushin books, however Tadashi Nakamura's "Karate: Technique and Spirit" is a very good book. Nakamura was Oyama's top student before he left Kyokushin, and I believe he wrote the book while Seido was still full contact. There's a newer version with a white paperback cover with only part of Nakamura's face visable. I haven't read that one, I've only read the old hardcover green version. I doubt there's much difference, but you never know.

I can't find my copy of it, but if I remember correctly it had a good amount of technique stuff in it, along with a lot of Nakamura's philosophy on MA and life in general. Easily one of the best books I've read, and I bought it way before I was in Seido, so the bias wasn't there when I bought it.

Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I believe it's about $30 or so here in the U.S.

This looks pretty good, might have to get me a cop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karate-Technique-Spirit-Tuttle-Martial/dp/080483282X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439211947&sr=8-1&keywords=Tadashi+Nakamura

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that I've been meaning to buy is Joko Ninomiya's "Sabaki Method: Karate in the Inner Circle." I haven't read it, but I've heard so many good things about it that I have to give it a try.

Ninomiya was one of the Kyokushin legends before leaving with Ashihara, then leaving Ashihara to start Enshin karate.

I think up to date Kyokushin books are scarce due to the mass splintering and inside politics/in-fighting of Kyokushin since Mas Oyama's death.

Bobby Lowe is another name that gets a lot of respect in the book world and karate world. I haven't seen anything recent from him, nor read any of his books, so take that as you will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: