Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Good Maker of Wooden Okinawan Weapons Reply with quote

For high quality wooden Okinawan weapons, who do you all recommend.

This is for Bo, Jo, Tanbo, Chizikunbo, Tonfa, Nunchaku, Eku.

Crane Mountain was great but they are going out of business.

Torii Weapons are good, but what else is out there?

-Domo Arigato

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, we've sourced our kobudo weapons from Shureido, California, but have not purchased much lately due to the rising cost of their weapons.

Lately, I've purchased Eku from Shushin, and will be placing another order soon. I like that they offer varying sizes and wood selections. I don't believe that they make a tapered bo.

So far, my experience has been good with them.

https://www.shushinkobudo.com/

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
Historically, we've sourced our kobudo weapons from Shureido, California, but have not purchased much lately due to the rising cost of their weapons.

Lately, I've purchased Eku from Shushin, and will be placing another order soon. I like that they offer varying sizes and wood selections. I don't believe that they make a tapered bo.

So far, my experience has been good with them.

https://www.shushinkobudo.com/

Thank you. Shushin Kobudo looks like a great manufacturer. I will try them.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides shureido which usually has good quality equipment made in Okinawa, one option can be to go to a professional wood craftsman. It shouldn’t be too difficult to buy a choice piece of the desired type of wood and get the craftsman to make something following details and dimensions provided by a few good photos. If a skilled craftsman can make a chair or other more complicated furniture or objects, a bo, a pair of tonfa or eku ought to be easy. Kobudo wooden weapons aren’t exactly complicated or sophisticated things. Especially to anyone with experience building things out of wood.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Besides shureido which usually has good quality equipment made in Okinawa, one option can be to go to a professional wood craftsman. It shouldn’t be too difficult to buy a choice piece of the desired type of wood and get the craftsman to make something following details and dimensions provided by a few good photos. If a skilled craftsman can make a chair or other more complicated furniture or objects, a bo, a pair of tonfa or eku ought to be easy. Kobudo wooden weapons aren’t exactly complicated or sophisticated things. Especially to anyone with experience building things out of wood.

I would agree for short weapons. For long weapons, most woodworkers don't have the long-bed lathe required to turn bo.

That said, years ago I had Glen Grabow make me 2 eku. Not having a long-bed lathe, Mr. Grabow shaped the shaft by hand. They came out VERY nice, with much better heft, feel and balance than my Shuredo.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between any brand name item made in numbers and a single item which is handcrafted to meet certain personal specifications is always notable.

Shureido or any supplier offer products that are made in numbers with general specifications. None of what they offer is aimed at a single individual customer, and none is the work of just one person. By going to a craftsman who will do all the work as asked, one gets a unique one-of-a-kind custom-made item. Sometimes that is the only way to get what one is looking for.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The difference between any brand name item made in numbers and a single item which is handcrafted to meet certain personal specifications is always notable.

Shureido or any supplier offer products that are made in numbers with general specifications. None of what they offer is aimed at a single individual customer, and none is the work of just one person. By going to a craftsman who will do all the work as asked, one gets a unique one-of-a-kind custom-made item. Sometimes that is the only way to get what one is looking for.

While Shureido seems to follow very tight tolerances for a “mass producer” (I guess that’s relative to a person making single custom stuff), you’re absolutely correct.

That being said, the custom woodworker isn’t guaranteed to make a better weapon than someone like Shureido. The best they can do is make exactly what you (the customer) specify. If your specs aren’t accurate due to either a mistake in measuring or due to not knowing the intricacies of the weapon, the weapon is going to be inferior. The perfect scenario is a woodworker who has experience using and making the weapons. Good luck finding that though.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shureido still makes quality weapons...but the bo that we purchased 3 decades (or more) ago had better wood. Their Sai have always been well made, and years ago we were able to order sai made to our rough specifications. Visiting Shureido in Okinawa is always a treat...

Regarding the Shushin Eku, I suggest ordering the 5' 6' model with the shaft to your specs. That way the butt end or blade end can be shortened to your preferred balance preferences.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all. Good recommendations.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistakes can be made but as the customer it is a good idea to do as much research as possible to get the most accurate specifications and details for the desired weapon.

This can be done by consulting a variety of knowledgeable sources to find the best fit. A skilled professional woodworker will then be able to follow that and make something of very good quality even if they aren’t familiar with kobudo weapons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: