Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Capt Jakk
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Trying to include some JKD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Hawaii I would suggest looking into Kajukenbo as I believe it has roots in the hawaiian martial arts community. From what I know of it it has the mental attitude you are looking for. There was a Human Weapon episode about it so you could look that up to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I haven't seen it in person so I can't vouch for any of their techniques though.

Daryl
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a couple schools for a very short time. Then I started watching Craigslist under community ads and found classes at the local YMCA. The instructor sucked big time. I kept looking at the ads and found an awesome school just starting in my area. The instructor is as good as I would ever hope to find.
If your in SE Michigan try... http://tangsoodomartialartssociety.com/default.aspx

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "sport" martial arts are the ones that are more likely to prepare you for self defense: Kyokushin and its many offshoots, boxing, wrestling, Judo, BJJ, and Muay Thai. I'm sure I missed some, but those are the popular ones.

Here's why: you have to prove yourself in a heavy contact context to get anywhere. You spar full force, with the ultimate goal of knocking out your opponent, scoring an ippon (Judo), or getting them to tap out.

If you can find a traditional martial arts school that spars with hard contact, that's great. They can prepare you just as well, but a lot don't. If you only ever punch air and do kata, how do you know if what you've learned works?

You said one or more attackers, if it's more than one, I think you should consult a track coach, not us haha.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: