Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
Man, that was a great fight. I didn't realize how great Weidman is. His movement was unreal, and Machida, a master at counter attacking couldn't do anything for 2 full rounds. In the 4th and 5th, though, Machida turned it on and almost finished Weidman each round. But it took him too long to figure out the champ. Weidman said something to him after the fight, and although I couldn't hear it, it seemed like he was telling Machida that he and Weidman are the 2 best in the world! He handled it with class. 2 warriors in a great battle. While I'm sad that Machida lost, I'm happy that we have a champ like Weidman.

I agree with you completely!
Machida is one of my favorite fighters so it's hurts to say this but: It's a shame that Machida spent his prime, or what was left of it while at the UFC, refusing to fight his good friend Anderson Silva and as a result fought as a Light Heavyweight for far too long. It's clear that he's a natural Middleweight but at 36 I think it's too late to make a run. Sadly I think it's time for him to retire. He's a warrior, a great fighter, but timing is everything and it's simply not his time...and it won't be anytime soon.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It somewhat went as I expected; Machida gave Weidman a run for his money, but never really had what was needed to achieve the win. Still, considering we are talking about a loss to the man who defeated Anderson Silva twice, and a loss that came after going the distance and was a judge decision, It's not a career damning loss by any stretch of the imagination.

I think Machida has shown us the potential he has in this weight division, while Weidman has shown he is a world class champion. I would dare any one to call him a fluke champion after this showing, while keeping a straight face. Sadly though, at 36 Machida is not a young man, and I think this played into it. His enviable skills kept him afloat, and in a game such as MMA that is only part of the equation. Weidman is as skilled as Machida (Perhaps even more so but as he didn't finish the fight I am hesitant to push him as decidely more skilled), but younger and this gave him the edge in a fight that went the distance. Weidman has power, speed, endurance and skill. Machida could only challenge him with skill and it wasn't enough on the night.

I do not think Machida should retire, I suspect he has a few more remarkable fights inside him for us. However, I agree that it is doubtful he will be able to challenge for the champion spot in this division again.

All in all, a good fight and I can't fault either fighter on their conduct or their skills. Really, what one wants to see in MMA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: