Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Magnanimous!! Reply with quote

Perhaps, I've not yet been in the right place at the very right time to have witnessed any magnanimous acts with my very own aging eyes, one so profound and indubitable that one can't help but to notice it.

What was the most selfless act that you've ever personally witnessed in the MA??

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are many martialnart related selfless acts happening every day, perhaps not as dramatic as this

https://youtu.be/4o5nDOWFGAM

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few definitions...

"When you're being selfless, you're thinking of other people before yourself. ... If you're selfless, you think less about your self, and more about others — you're generous and kind. Being selfless is similar to being altruistic — another word for giving to others without looking for personal gain."

And...

"In broadly generalized terms, a selfless act is an action predicated on a motive other than the self. This is a summary value judgement: if the personal gain, familial gain and personal health or survival of the instigator of the action is insignificant or nonexistent then the action is deemed selfless."

Would someone teaching the MA for free, even though they've an overhead to meet each and every month, qualify!?!?

Many years back, 1983, I knew a MAist who taught the MA for absolutely free to whomever, no matter age and/or gender. He rented space at a strip mall, therefore he had a monthly overhead that he had to meet. He just wanted to teach and never wanted money to deter anyone from learning and training in the MA. His school was opened for 26 years.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Here are a few definitions...

"When you're being selfless, you're thinking of other people before yourself. ... If you're selfless, you think less about your self, and more about others — you're generous and kind. Being selfless is similar to being altruistic — another word for giving to others without looking for personal gain."

And...

"In broadly generalized terms, a selfless act is an action predicated on a motive other than the self. This is a summary value judgement: if the personal gain, familial gain and personal health or survival of the instigator of the action is insignificant or nonexistent then the action is deemed selfless."

Would someone teaching the MA for free, even though they've an overhead to meet each and every month, qualify!?!?

Many years back, 1983, I knew a MAist who taught the MA for absolutely free to whomever, no matter age and/or gender. He rented space at a strip mall, therefore he had a monthly overhead that he had to meet. He just wanted to teach and never wanted money to deter anyone from learning and training in the MA. His school was opened for 26 years.

That's awesome.

My instructor was also committed to teaching for free. He sought out churches, rec departments, youth centers, etc over the years and eventually set up shop in a Boys and Girls Club and was there for over 30 years before he had to retire for severe health issues a few years ago.

He could have made money teaching. There are several schools in my area that all charge over $100 per month for lessons. Their owners make bank. But he's the only one I know of who sought out to teach those who can't afford the big schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: