Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at my local hardwood dealer, I found a really nice piece of 6.5'x8" 2" thick purpleheart. Should be enough to make about 5 bo staves out of and (possibly) some other weapons too. I haven't made anything yet, but I did find a couple of decent YouTube videos and it doesn't look too hard if you've got the right tools. I'll probably practice on a piece of red oak first though.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurik, please let us know how your bo turn out. In my experience, red oak bo sourced from Shureido were the most durable for heavy contact. The Purple heart bo that we had were nicely weighted and balanced, but did not hold up to vigorous contact. Historically, our Kai/Eiku bo have been made out of red oak (Shureido) or maple. Recently I obtained a Kai made out of Granadillo and love it so far.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
Aurik, please let us know how your bo turn out. In my experience, red oak bo sourced from Shureido were the most durable for heavy contact. The Purple heart bo that we had were nicely weighted and balanced, but did not hold up to vigorous contact. Historically, our Kai/Eiku bo have been made out of red oak (Shureido) or maple. Recently I obtained a Kai made out of Granadillo and love it so far.

Have you considered Cocobolo Hardwood?? It can withstand quite a lot, and it's wood color, orange or red tones, are attractive to the eye. I've had all of my wood weapons made with Cocobolo Hardwood a very long time ago, and I still use them.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently ripped and stacked a japanese maple trunk with good heart wood center once it's dried enough sometime next year I will make a few sets of Nunchaku out of it. I have a good friend who is a carpenter and has a great workshop and advice to get me going. I'll post pics etc when it's done. Wanted to make a set of sai out of damascus, but near impossible, so am considering colour case hardened instead.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
When I was at my local hardwood dealer, I found a really nice piece of 6.5'x8" 2" thick purpleheart. Should be enough to make about 5 bo staves out of and (possibly) some other weapons too. I haven't made anything yet, but I did find a couple of decent YouTube videos and it doesn't look too hard if you've got the right tools. I'll probably practice on a piece of red oak first though.

Lathe, extensions, lathe chisels and a steady hand. You're on your way.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

Have you considered Cocobolo Hardwood?? It can withstand quite a lot, and it's wood color, orange or red tones, are attractive to the eye. I've had all of my wood weapons made with Cocobolo Hardwood a very long time ago, and I still use them.

Cocobolo is great wood also. I've a few sets of cocobolo nunchaku

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

I have a set of bagpipes made out of cocobolo and love them, but the hardwood dealers I talked to had only had 4/4 cocobolo, which would make a very narrow bo (too small for my ham-fists at least).

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

Just a word of caution if you use Cocobolo or any exotics to make your weapons... check the MSD sheets. Woods like Cocobolo have a natural insecticide in it's oils and this can cause mild to severe reactions. Make sure you're wearing a good respirator and clothing before turning, cutting or sanding.

I have used this wood quite a bit and have a very adverse reaction to it. I had to install an exhaust and ventilation and wear the proper protective equipment or I get a rash at the least and boils at the worst. Nasty stuff if you're allergic. This is not the only exotic wood that contains bad stuff. just make sure to read up on it before working with it. You'll be thankful you did.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:

Just a word of caution if you use Cocobolo or any exotics to make your weapons... check the MSD sheets. Woods like Cocobolo have a natural insecticide in it's oils and this can cause mild to severe reactions. Make sure you're wearing a good respirator and clothing before turning, cutting or sanding.

I have used this wood quite a bit and have a very adverse reaction to it. I had to install an exhaust and ventilation and wear the proper protective equipment or I get a rash at the least and boils at the worst. Nasty stuff if you're allergic. This is not the only exotic wood that contains bad stuff. just make sure to read up on it before working with it. You'll be thankful you did.

Solid post!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woods that are commonly used for particular applications are used for a variety of reasons.

1) Availability
2) The wood has characteristics that make it particularly useful in that application

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: