Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Fairfax_Uechi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mantras Reply with quote

Kinson wrote:
What mantras do you use in meditation? Should one focus on a single mantra, or a lot of different mantras? Do you know of any mantras that are considered self-activating ("incessant prayer")- as in, you repeat it constantly in daily life and it eventually takes hold within and works on it's own?

Thank you!

My Sensei suggests that we focus on the number 1. He says that you can use anything but to him, it's just something to clear your thoughts and to get into a medative state.

I use it because that's what I learn. I also will sometimes repeat "slow, slow, slow...." as I tend to get wound up.

To me it doesn't matter what you chose as long as it clams you and helps you relax and get into a medative state.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well as to the question geared tword me i like to switch meditation because i feel it helps me more than just chanting as i used to do. i really enjoyed zazen and i feel it helps clear the mind whail i feel the mantras help me think better thoughts. i guess its sort of like cross training there is no perfect path to fighting just like there is no flawless path to enlightenment.

as to another post i thank you for correcting my spelling i have been chanting that mantra for a long time and your spelling was closer to what i actually chant.

heres another mantra if your interested (correct my spelling if its wrong)

namu amida butsu - praise to the buddha amida

i dont usually chant this one but i really like the sound

AMITABHA

Tef
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Wu-Tang Sword, Muay Thai, Kechwa MA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that one of the most basic maditation is just to breathe in and out and just count your breaths. Focus on the air going in and out of you and this may seem really "hippie," but feel the essence of the air as it gives you life. By the time I actually get to that stage, i've killed an hour meditating.

eddy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are the 5 warrior seed syllables you can chant for healing -- A, OM, HUNG, RAM & DZA -- which are associated with chakras of the body and different purposes. for example, the A sound is for clearing emotions and blockages. look up Tibetan Sound Healing by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. he also has a demos on youtube.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice Zen which generally doesn't get involved with the esoteric nature of syllables in the same way that Tibetan practitioners do. However there are a few mantras that seem to help.

I practice the Nembutsu (Namu Amida Butsu) daily and sometimes the mantra from the Heart Sutra (gate, gate, paragate, parasamgate, bodhi svaha). It is important to get some teaching on the meaning of the mantra, as without knowing the meaning you might as well be chanting "beans, beans the musical fruit"! For this reason many teachers I have heard advocate using a short affirming phrase in your own language, such as "I am here, this is now" or "clear mind, clear mind, clear mind...don't know". Some people collect mantras and treat them like magic spells, but in the end they are only words.

Mithrandir
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chinese martial arts Lohan (northern shaolin) taichi, bagua and xingyi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a few different mantras depending what I'm looking for. Om mani padme Hum is a good one to start with it opens up your dantian and root chakra. I use the Ganesh mantra to focus and get motivated and when I played it for the first time it opened up my 360 degree movement. Check out the version sung by hemant chauhan. Gayatri mantra for daily sun meditation and for qigong and the Eleven-Faced Avalokitesvara Heart Dharani is a great Buddhist one. I would suggest checking out a few and see which one works best for you. Depending on who sings it can change the energy for me.

David

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantras can take many different forms, but the form or syllables are simply sounds and are much less relevant than the purpose. The function of a mantra is to focus concentration to achieve a goal or an ideal.

It works in a way similar to self-suggestion or hypnosis. It is not a prerequisite to be of a particular spiritual, philosophical or religious persuasion to use this practice. Suggestion can be either positive or negative. Repeating positive things brings positive thoughts and results in positive action leading to success in achieving goals.

Arvind
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shito Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Mantras Reply with quote

Kinson wrote:
What mantras do you use in meditation? Should one focus on a single mantra, or a lot of different mantras? Do you know of any mantras that are considered self-activating ("incessant prayer")- as in, you repeat it constantly in daily life and it eventually takes hold within and works on it's own?

Thank you!

Here is a resource on choosing and using mantras in Hinduism as well as Christian and Buddhist traditions:

http://www.easwaran.org/mantrams-recommended-by-easwaran.html

The following is another excellent summary of traditional Hindu mantra practice
- http://www.dlshq.org/teachings/japayoga.htm

Single mantra or many? better to focus on one. As one keeps repeating one's mantra, it becomes easier to focus one's mind. I have read (no personal experience) that any mantra practiced with sincerity, focus and for a long time becomes 'self-activating' to use your term - i.e. rises on its own incessantly.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeating anything often enough and for long enough will enventually make it happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: