Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

psycdoc
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Many Questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the correct location, if not I am sorry...

I have several questions: Are there any reputable organizations that can refer me to a good martial arts instructor? When I received my training, I not only received the physical training, I also received the "mental" or "Philosophy" training as well. I have commented to several people that I gained alot more from the "mental/philosophy" side of the training than I did from the physical side. Having said that, I wish to enroll my son in some training, but the schools I have visited seem to have lost the "mental/philosophy" side of the training and focused on the physical side of it. I actually went to one school and the instructor told me if I coughed up $1500 up front he would guarantee my son would get his black belt. You can guess as to whether or not my son is enrolled at that school. I really want him to learn the "mental/philosophy" side of the training, but I just dont know where to go to find out what schools still teach this...

Ok on to my second question, I studied a variety of styles in my youth, I stopped when I hit my early twenties (now I am 35) and I really need to take it up again (my Dr is really getting on my case about my weight). The one thing I regret is not choosing a weapon, specifically the Katana. I dropped out as soon as I was going to start studying, now I can not seem to find anyone in my area that teaches the art of the Katana, again I ask, is there any organization that has a listing of whom might teach that art? I live in the Chicago area, so any advise would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays,

Doc

Rathe
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu, Iaido, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach the Katana in the Philadelphia area and as I know that doesn't necessarily help you out I could look to see if anyone in my art teaches in Chicago. I'll do my best for you in that department.

In Ninjitsu, mental awareness, and control are extremely important. I believe a good Ninjitsu instructor would definately be what you are looking for. My classes include about 15 minutes in a two hour class of seiza and calming oneself before proceding with the class. With children its 5 minutes in the beginning and 5 minutes after so they don't start figiting. In the beginning it is just to relax the students, but as time goes on, it reaches into meditation and further as training progresses.

I can see if I can find anyone in your area many don't advertise much. Unless you wish to commute.

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try checking the colleges, I know that some offer kendo programs if thats not along the lines of what you want maybe those instructors know of some places that might be of help to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: