Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what you guys think of the use of the original language to identify techniques or forms?

If you learn TKD do they have an english translation for patterns that you learn? For example Taeguek (Sorry for mistakes I don't speak Koren and have limited TKD knowledge).

I know Kung-Fu you are usually shown the Chinese first then english maybe if it translates well. Judo as well you are taught the Japanese name.

In muay thai I asked Ken what Sok Hud, Kao Tone, and Sok Ku were. No reply, yet he teaches the "art".

What would you think of TKD without teaching the "art", diconnect all ties to it's korean roots, or karate without acknowledging it's japanese roots. Kung-fu without China, etc.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long ago, hyungs were developed to assist a warriorin the practice of defensive and offensive skills without causing injury or death to actual opponents.
TaeKwon-Do hyungs were developed by the founder of TaeKwon-Do as the martial art was officially given its name. Once developed, they were not to change with time. These hyungs are indeed part of the thick deep roots of TaeKwon-Do. They are practiced overand over until it becomes a permanent part of the practitioner. The hyungs that I practice at our school are the traditional Chang-Hun TaeKwon-Do hyungs. They are just the first 10 of the 24 traditional Chang-Hun
TaeKwon-Do hyungs; the 24 representing 24 hours, one day, or as the founder of TaeKwon-Do would explain, "all my life". When practicing or teaching these hyungs, remember that if they don't change, the tradition is practiced.

Without teaching the "art" as you call it...I call it "tradition", a change in practice causes a loss in the tradition.

My school is much more American-ized rather than Korean. Our Master trained with Koreans and thus we were all thought as he was taught, with respect for the art and for where it came from.
I think it is each students responsibility to find out about the martial art they are studying on their own (that is they are truly interested in its roots)
I found it very intersting to find out what Chon-Ji meant (Heaven & Earth) and Yul Guk (the real name of Confuscious the Korean scholar.

Deby

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In karate you are taught the moves in japanese and then translated into english(if translates well enough to understand) This way it is easier to remember the japanese terminology to the techniques which is more important than the english terminology.

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe our martial arts have been diluted enough..and americanized to the point that they are but a shadow of its true essence...we have a responsibility to try to preserve what little tradition is left...in my class i insist that korean terminoligy and custom be observed and i also prefer the chan hung forms these not only look and feel better but they are closer to the roots of taekwondo..i believe the taeguek forms have been adapted more for competition than for combat but anyway i think we should move this disscussion to "korean stylist" finally does anyone think that martial arts have become too americanized..think of the mcdojang syndrome...

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the art itself is all that matters. The learning of the original language is moot. Why should I call a foot-jab "teep" when I can just say foot-jab and even my first time students can get an understanding of what I mean? If I say "round kick" or "round-house" kick, then almost every martial artist has an idea of what I am talking about. Many here think it's a loss of tradition.. I don't care about tradition, I care about the passing of effective technique to my students. If something is useless I will toss it out, even if it's "traditional".

It's silly to try to invalidate a person's training just because he doesn't know the name of a technique, even if he doesn't know an english equivalent. If you want to give language lessons along-side your martial art teachings, go ahead. You'll find, though, that your students will be just as well learning the technique even if renamed in english.

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very rarely even think of the english translation and only use japanese is class... tradition is tradition.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that tradition is important, and tazee is right on the money when he states that martial arts have been diluted enough.

Thank you kickchick for the info, I'm learning more about TKD everyday...

I think that instructors who don't know the history, tradition, and the language that revolves around their system need to find their roots, as they are cheating many of their students.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what they do in kung fu with the hand thing. I know how to call it in chinese but I don't know how to say it in english.

One hand makes a fist, the other is a flat plam. then they place the plam on the fist to show respect.

I think that is the coolest guesture in the world.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tradition is very often that which keeps something from evolving. It used to be traditional for a person to learn only one martial art. Well, that thought is outdated as people have evolved past that and realized that cross-training is a very valid path to follow. There are some traditions that are good to keep, but some that are inconsequential, such as knowing the Japanese name for techniques.

I teach my students "teep", but I call it "foot-jab" and they do too. Because they don't know the Thai name for it, doesn't take away from their ability to use the technique or to pass it along to another person.

Break from tradition and try to think outside of the box.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to break tradition to think "outside the box".

Your JKD attitude is showing "reject what is useless, adapt what is useful" or something like that. I think that is JKD concept (I think).

Do you teach your fighters the Wai Khruu (the dance prior to the fight)? Or is this also "outdated" and "inconsiquential". Do you even know why it's done?

Do your fighters wear a Mongkon (headband) or Praciat (armbands)? Do they know why? And if not and they wear them is it so what they can look cool?

Ken I don't even train Muay Thai, and I have a foundation of knowledge. I don't teach it, and don't claim to. Yet I know, why because I think outside the box, and have fought Muay Thai bouts. I may not be a thai boxer but I respect the traditions of their art when we fight.

I'd personally be embarrassed if I called the first pattern I teach "pattern 1" and have an outside instructor say to one of my students, "oh you learned Tan Tuy (Springing Legs)"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: