Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IAMA_chick
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately not in my school..or style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

battousai16
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Hwa Rang Do, Omulu Capoeira

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not sure if you live the US but I know you have to watch where you put them because many places wont hire you if the tattoo shows. now if you get away with covering it and you have been working at the place for a decent amount of time then decide to bust out the artwork then they cant do nothing. just get it where you want, but watch out on what career your heading into.."

last i heard that only applies to teaching/daycare positions, and even that's pretty loose. you probably wont get to far as a politician, either. i could be wrong, though.

tokeabowl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: PRIDE-OKINAWA-PRIDE(Karate)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe in for some hardcore martial arts.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a requirement as far as I know to have your martial art tattooed on you, but I've got it anyway!!
I have the Japanese symbols for Shotokan Karate tattoed on my upper am. I have several tattoos, but they all have had to be in places I can cover over easily because I work with children and it is one of the requirements of my job that all tattoos must be covered (even though the area I live in is so rough that the kids I work with will have all seen far worse things than a teacher with tattoos...).

Sheffield Steelers!

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...well, I tend to laugh at people who use foreign symbols as tattoos. Think about it - how would you react if a japanese person would have a text "school of waving pines" written in clear English on his body?

Well, anyone who can read Japanese will react similarly when they see the "shotokan" text in Japanese as a tattoo.

Overall, I'm having fun when looking all the people following the current body mutilation (tattoos, piercings) trend. Wouldn't take tattoo for any reason - and if there would be any reason, I wouldn't tattoo my hobby to my body. Hobbies may change or they may stay - I don't use martial arts T-shirts, badges or anything else outside the dojo...nor I print it to my body.
Finland

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a fair amount of people who have some sort of Tang Soo Do related tattoo on their bodies. I think at a certain point, a lot of people think how it might be a good idea... and then talk themselves out of it.

I have no problems with what people want to do with their bodies, but it's not my bag. I've never seen someone tattoo it on the inside of their wrist though! Mostly it's a bicep, chest, back thing.

As for the use of chinese characters... No different aesthetically than using initials, which is just as popular. As long as you know what it means and aren't going with "pretty looking" as you see with devangari and sanskrit... then I can't question your intelligence.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get my shotokan karate tattoo to flash about to all and sundry, I got it as a permanent reminder that karate is a life-long pursuit. To me, karate is something that should be studied for many years, not something to be picked up and dropped at will. The only person who sees my tattoo is myself, so its unlikely that a passing Japanese person will think I'm odd for having 'hall of waving pines karate' tattooed on my arm (the passing Japanese person would probably think I'm odd anyway, but that's beside the point... ) I wasn't jumping on any sort of band wagon either when I got a tattoo using Japanese characters - my name isn't David Beckham! I got the tattoo done in Japanese because shotokan is originally a Japanese martial art.
I agree that a lot of people wouldn't get tattoos, especially not one of something considered to be a 'hobby', so that is one of the reasons I keep mine covered at all times, out of respect for those who don't like tattoos and don't wish to be shown them.

Sheffield Steelers!

Jussi Häkkinen
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aefibird wrote:
I got it as a permanent reminder that karate is a life-long pursuit.

I think that you should read this: http://www.24fightingchickens.com/mu/lifetime/index.html

Rob, again, hits the nail with that text. Read it, swallow the recoil it will cause in you, and read it again.
Finland

theswarm
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Go-Kan-Ryu Karate, filhos di bahia Capoeira, Okinawan GoJu Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer pictures to words in tattoos
that being said i'm getting the word 'spirit' on my right shoulder muscle
I have a tattoo on my calf of two fists breaking their rope bindings

whoever said don't show your tattoos, I believe, is right - even if you work somewhere where there's room for promotion you don't wanna show it, it WILL slow you down. I like having tats that no one knows about till i crank out some shorts and a wifebeater.

1ONEfighting
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: A pinch of this, a dash of that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few large tattoos, but none of them are directly related to the martial arts. One is a large piece that crawls halfway up my neck. It just looks intimidating sticking out of my gi.

As far as getting asian script detailing your art of choice, be careful. You don't want to get the tattoo and find out upon further inspection that it really means "sucker" or "dummy".

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: