Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: boxing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Mcdojos? Reply with quote

Ok the deal is this, I dont know so much about this and it would interest me and probably many others if anyone with info about theese Mcdojos would share it...

What is it, and what do they do in a Mcdojo, the only thing I know is that they are fake... but what do they get out of beeing fake and so on?

A friend of mine told me about this site he had found a while ago... "great site" he said: www.mcdojo.com
and the name kinda got my attention, I just told him it was fake in some way!

Also another thing, are there any known Mcdojo fighters... like for example in K1, some fights that ive seen there havent exactly been performed with skill?

Thanks

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, McDojo's are typically franchises of martial arts schools. They teach watered down techniques that are very easily mastered (and in real life, very easily countered). They charge fees for practically everything, and most of it is over priced. Its a big money making machine. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with making a profit doing this thing that we all love to do, but these guys are sellouts. I know that someone on here in another thread found one that had three membership upgrades (all of them at least year long), and guaranteed a black belt by the end of it. While I understand the appeal of the offer, what I don't understand is why anyone would wear a blackbelt that didn't mean anything.
"There is no spoon."

aes
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I think it follows that they would have underqualified Sensais. I don't mean their belt is less than black, but the actual knowledge they possess is as you say watered down.

Not all black belts are the same. Some dojos/organizations have very strict, tough requirements, others it is not.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong about this, but I'd think it wouldn't be very likely for there to be any well-known McDojo fighters because techniques taught in McDojo's are that weak and watered down that they would be easily defeated by someone whoi has trained properly.

It's the 'guaranteed black belt' that many McDojo's offer that really annoys me. grrr... Most martial artists work their butts off to get a black belt and then the martial arts are just cheapened by McDojo's that hand them out like sweets. I know that a black belt is only a black piece of cloth and that it is dedication and skill that count, but most people work d*mn hard to get their black belt and I think that it is unfair that someone with only a years training can be considered at the same grade as someone who has trained hard for many years. Plus, many people outside martial arts see the black belt as the 'be-all-and-end-all' of martial arts training and if someone has been given a black belt with a year or less of training then they're still gonna be considered as a skilled martial artist by Joe Public, even if they'd probably get their butt handed to them by a lower grade from a decent club.

Sheffield Steelers!

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has explained it fairly well. Basically some schools forget about the art they should be teaching and more about the bottom line (money). Some may say belts are sometimes bought and not earned in some circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a disgrace to martial arts and show a total lack of respect for a fantastic tradition and way of fighting passed down for hundreds of years, what do u think the Samurai, the Ninja or the Shaolin monks would think if they saw this kind of thing, they've helped develop the fantastic arts of fighting and devoted their lives to perfected them... for what? so u can go down 2 ur local Mcdojo and pick up a black belt with fries, ITS A CRAZY WORLD!!!

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now that youve explained some of this to me then I know that what I first thaught was right... so the thing I hate about theese Mcdojos is; some people have told me that they a while ago saw a martial artist black belt get beaten by a street thug (video), this has happened more than once, and they complete their insult to MA:s by saying that, for example, Karate sucks, and you get better at fighting by lifting weights, and so on... Now how I se this is that the black belts who are always beat down, are in fact Mcdojo'ists who spoil the reputation of all martial artists!

And another thing, last week we got a beginner to our boxing class, he was a karate practitioner, with 11 years of practise. It wasnt until I had beat him quite good without even using full speed, that they told me this... I've only been in boxing for one year, and though I consider myself to be pretty good already, is it really possible that I beat someone, in boxing, who's practised karate (contact might I add) for 11 years?

By if there are any well known Mcdojoists out there I meant strong guys who have managed to live of that until they meet/met a real fighter (K1 seems to have potential for such a fighter)

btw. everyone, check out the page to!: www.mcdojo.com

WolverineGuy
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Kalkinodo, San Chin Ryu, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coudo wrote:
And another thing, last week we got a beginner to our boxing class, he was a karate practitioner, with 11 years of practise. It wasnt until I had beat him quite good without even using full speed, that they told me this... I've only been in boxing for one year, and though I consider myself to be pretty good already, is it really possible that I beat someone, in boxing, who's practised karate (contact might I add) for 11 years?

Well, you beat him at Boxing, not karate...even though you both do a contact "fight-like" sport, they are VERY different. I consider myself a very good martial artist, and I know I'd get killed if all I could rely on was punching against a boxer. My two cents.
"There is no spoon."

Coudo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I get what your saying wolverine, but still, I mean he has 11 years of training, and I beat him easy, real easy. He could punch, not hard but still. But he wasnt able to avoid my punches at all, though he did keep a good distance...
Well... I'll just rely on your answer... heck what do I have to loose doing that

equaninimus
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Seibukan, Shotokan, Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.milehighkarate.com
http://tsk.com
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: