Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

exkarategirl
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Measuring kicking power Reply with quote

I am doing a project for a sports performance class involving a TKD sidekick. One of the criteria we want to measure is power. I seem to remember there was this "pressure plate" thing that martial arts suppliers used to hawk at tournments to measure the power of a sidekick. You kicked the pad and it gave you a number.

Does anyone in the Silicon Valley Bay area (Or your dojo) have one of these gizmos I could borrow for a day?

Or, does anyone have any suggestions on measuring power? Measuring vertical jump is the gold standard, but is there another way?

Thanks much!

The Saint
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do ITF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going to this web site, There is a thing called a pressure mat which measures the force that your body puts on your feet. It is used for orthotics in shoes. If you could somehow attach it in a vertical position it could potentialy work. I'm not too sure on this because it has possible never been done before. Good Luck if you try it, and keep us informmed on findings, It sounds like a good experiment.

http://www.swri.org/3pubs/ird2000/09-9178.htm

alanseijas
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Shorinryu, Fut Sao

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that in Rocky 4. The Russian averaged over 1500 pounds! (or something like that)

Didn't Century used to make that?
The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your local natural science museum and go to the earthquake section. Sometimes they have these nifty little cement blocks for you to kick and test your strength
Plus it's always fun to go to science museums

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

battousai16
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Hwa Rang Do, Omulu Capoeira

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Plus it's always fun to go to science museums "

yeah it is me and my buddys are planning on taking a road trip to the milwaukee museum of science pretty soon, i'll keep an eye out for one of those kicking thingies

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those striking pads back in the '80's, and it lasted MAYBE one hour and broke! I returned it to Century Martial Arts for replacement, and was informed that they are going to be discontinuing that item because they were finding that ALL of them were being returned. They just wouldn't hold up for long I guess.

Kind of a nice item for playing around in the dojo...until it broke! lol

KwicKixJ1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Shorin Ryu, Shudokan, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. that's funny.
i think century has an attachment to one of those shield pads (y'know, those rectangles you hold on your side... kinda looks like a rectangle squishy shield?) there's an attachment for the hole on top to measure how much air gets pushed out of it and you can calculate a poundage offa that.

YoungGrasshopper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called the "Ssaurabi Machine". I've practiced with it at my old TKD Dojang. I don't know where, how, or how much it costs to get it (I've looked everywhere). Anyways, Ssaurabi measures how hard and how accurately you kick or strike the targets, as well as your speed and recovery time. This allows you to beat your own high score and such. So yes, when you kick/punch it displays the power with numbers. And there is a mode where the spots light up as you kick them trying to catch up (think of that DDR game, except instead of dancing...kicking/punching), and that your strikes must be a power above a certain measure so you can't cheat. Also there's a mode where it simply counts how many times you can kick within a certain amount of time...and ofcourse the simple "power test" strike.

If you/anyone figures out or knows how to/where get one of these please contact me by PM or something. I desperately want one of these!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty interesting.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: