Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Meditation and Martial Arts Reply with quote

I've recently become so in love with Martial Arts and my practice of Shorin-Ryu Karate, that i'm even interested in Meditation. My school offers Kaze No-Ryu Bugei, Shorin-Ryu Karate, Japanese Judo, and some Koryu Uchinadi.

One of my Sensei's, Tony Aloe, said that we are essentially being trained as a Samurai (not as intense obviously). How did the Samurai meditate? what did they put on their minds, and how? How long? I was watching The Last Samurai, and when they looked like they were meditating, they would softy chant something that i didnt understand, is there something like that i should look into?

another thing, there is a UFC fighter who religiously practices Shotokan Karate. his name is Lyoto Machida, and i saw him meditating in one of his videos. I'm guessing he incorporates his meditation with his Martial Arts. something like that is what i want to know as well.

Any information on how i can start meditation in a Samurai way is greatly appreciated!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the Book of Five Rings. Musashi was the man.

Apart from that, the samurai were Japanese soldiers in a different age and culture. You could go through their rituals, without gaining much, because they had different beliefs and cultural reasons behind their rituals. Unless you were raised with Shinto and Buddhism, along with being part of a class of warrior nobility, the ritual would be mostly academic value.

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:

Apart from that, the samurai were Japanese soldiers in a different age and culture. You could go through their rituals, without gaining much, because they had different beliefs and cultural reasons behind their rituals. Unless you were raised with Shinto and Buddhism, along with being part of a class of warrior nobility, the ritual would be mostly academic value.

Thankyou!!! i'll look him up. i actually discovered one of his quotes earlier:

“Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”

Miyamoto Musashi

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do you a favor here. At the bottom of the page are links to the rest of the book. This is a staple read for martial artists of all styles.

http://www.cyberpathway.com/musashi/index.html

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musashi is, to put it lightly, the authority in this kind thing.

Meditation (for those who don't practice Shinto or Buddhism) is still a great way to calm yourself before and after practice. I recommend to anyone who struggles grasping something in any Martial Arts. Sometimes our minds get so clogged by all the information that we are supposed to remember that certain things don't "click" until we are able to sort everything out and a good way to do this is through meditation.

I would definitely look into it if it's something that you're interested in.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

SavageGeek
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi off-topic, but since you said "being trained as a Samurai" ... thought I'd recommend Inazo Nitobe's Bushido: The Soul of Japan. It doesn't deal with meditation at all, but it probes pretty deeply into the subject of the Samurai code of ethics and its related behaviors and the thought behind it.

Print copies are available and it's also online (it was published in 1905 so its in the public domain):

http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/bsd/index.htm

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Nitobe's book is an excellent work. It should probably be required reading for martial artist.

MadMartialArts
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do martial arts and yoga and find the two to be very complementary. When it comes down to it, the point of it all is to learn awareness and to maintain your calm (fudoshin - immovable heart) even in the fray of battle. Meditation, which is an integral part of yoga, helps with all of that.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:

Solid post!!

Kevin Wilson
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great book. You need to read it many time (or at least I did before I could even begin to contimplate it) . Also I find with all technology in modern age my brain is buzzing at night. Medatation is great for reducing that fuzz and helping you concentrate.
http://livingstonmartialarts.co.uk/category/the-blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: