Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really mediation can be used for different reasons. In Yoga it will be different than for martial arts.

In Yoga meditation is used in spirituality and body unity for the purpose of harmony.

In martial arts meditation is usually used as a tool, to be a more efficient and effective fighter; but how?

Usually it is about focusing on a particular thing; then there is a feeling or sensation occurring of energy movements; this can be done with the natural way of breathing in and out.

Something more useful is practicing how to listen to someone with your full attention, without you creating something to say while the other person is talking.

As this often happens, very much so in arguments, when both are talking and neither one is listening to the other.

Meditation is s powerful tool, never to be underestimated.

Switching off the internal chatter in one's own mind is another exercise.

Focusing on how a tree moves in the breeze and tuning in with the movements, this practice; will help you tune in to your opponents movements, making it easier for you when in combat.

When driving feel the road, become tuned in to the bends and bumps.

Becoming more tuned in to what you do, takes less energy and is easier to do; from riding a horse to skipping a rope.

When people are mentally challenged, they tune out and become withdraw.

Meditation is a good way to learn how to focus, so when we do a front kick (or any technique) on an opponent, it is carrying with it your full attention; just like listening to the other person with 100% of your attention.

mkdaggy
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some experience over the last decade with the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program which was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the UMASS Medical Center in Worcester, MA back in the late 70's. If you are looking for a book you could pick up Full Catastrophe Living, which Zinn wrote. It takes quite a commitment to follow as the recommendation is to practice meditation formally for 40 - 60 minutes a day, six days per week.

There was a Bill Moyers special on mindfulness back in the early 90's which you can still find on youtube, it's called Healing from Within...very informative. The focus of MBSR is insight meditation (focusing on the present moment experience, such as the breath, sounds, physical sensations, or even thoughts (just not getting caught up in the thinking).

I haven't followed the MBSR program for a couple of years, and just meditate for 20 minutes most days. As others have stated, there are so many ways one can practice meditation, not just seated, or laying down. My meditation has assisted my karate practice in a number of ways, from better attention, quieting my inner critic, and becoming more attuned to my body. My wife says it makes my less reactive (agitated)!

There are a ton of resources on-line. Good luck on your journey!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkdaggy wrote:
I have had some experience over the last decade with the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program which was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the UMASS Medical Center in Worcester, MA back in the late 70's. If you are looking for a book you could pick up Full Catastrophe Living, which Zinn wrote. It takes quite a commitment to follow as the recommendation is to practice meditation formally for 40 - 60 minutes a day, six days per week.

There was a Bill Moyers special on mindfulness back in the early 90's which you can still find on youtube, it's called Healing from Within...very informative. The focus of MBSR is insight meditation (focusing on the present moment experience, such as the breath, sounds, physical sensations, or even thoughts (just not getting caught up in the thinking).

I haven't followed the MBSR program for a couple of years, and just meditate for 20 minutes most days. As others have stated, there are so many ways one can practice meditation, not just seated, or laying down. My meditation has assisted my karate practice in a number of ways, from better attention, quieting my inner critic, and becoming more attuned to my body. My wife says it makes my less reactive (agitated)!

There are a ton of resources on-line. Good luck on your journey!
Thanks for sharing mkdaggy and welcome to KF.com

Here is Bill Moyers investigating Chi

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRHy7EBrFY

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Watts, How to master Meditation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQvnJtkSVEo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: