Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Missed Opportunity? Reply with quote

I'm in Lansing, MI for a conference. Shortly after I got off the freeway, I passed a martial arts school. Then the thought hit me... Maybe they'd welcome a guest for a day! From now on, I'll bring my uniform when I travel to places (especially larger cities that might have schools to choose from!)

I think it'd be neat to check out other schools, even if it's just a day. Has anyone been able to visit other schools on a drop-in basis?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed Opportunity? Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I'm in Lansing, MI for a conference. Shortly after I got off the freeway, I passed a martial arts school. Then the thought hit me... Maybe they'd welcome a guest for a day! From now on, I'll bring my uniform when I travel to places (especially larger cities that might have schools to choose from!)

I think it'd be neat to check out other schools, even if it's just a day. Has anyone been able to visit other schools on a drop-in basis?

I think most would welcome you to train if called ahead of time.

I would suggest that you bring along a white belt. Some organizations will allow you to wear your grade because you are just visiting and others will not.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:

Be careful that they are not interpreting your visit as a challenge.

I've dropped in on and attended classes, but just wearing loose fitting clothing, without the uniform.

I've had some interesting reactions to my visits.

I've been asked "Show me something" my reply "Then you will need to attack me" then they attack, and depending on their attack, is how I will show them something.

(I do this in a good natured way; not showing any threatening behavior at all)

One school was impressed enough to allow me to give a seminars.

The evening before one seminar, I was just checking out the interior of the facility and ended up giving two senior CI's a one hour example on Chin Na (bad idea) as for the next day my energy level ended up being very very low.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how it is done. Barring a few rare exceptions and certain circumstances, most martial arts schools would allow a visitor to join the training provided that said visitor asks in a courteous polite manner and preferably well ahead of time. Many people who became regular students started out as visitors. It is a great opportunity and might be a chance to learn and practise something new or different.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'd bring a white belt, and I'd ask ahead of time. I would not want to spar with anyone who I haven't trained with for at least a while, nor would I say "but our way is better."

I have visited my friend's school a couple times, but there was obviously someone there who could vouch that I wasn't a total jerk.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Missed Opportunity? Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I would suggest that you bring along a white belt. Some organizations will allow you to wear your grade because you are just visiting and others will not.

Solid post!!

I believe that you hit the nail of the question right on its head!! Calling first saves one any disappointments and embarrassments. Assumption is the mother of all mistakes, and not all are welcoming for one reason or another.

Personally, I've allowed "drop ins" to visit my dojo for as long as I can remember. It's a great way to see the other side of the MA from the outside looking in and vice versa.

I've also had the challenge types as well. I don't play that game, and will give them one chance to vacate my dojo before I help them find the door.

Our Hombu, when Soke and Dai-Soke were running it, they both being from Okinawa, had very strict protocol for "drop ins" that had to be meet to the Nth degree or they weren't welcomed. And yes, that drop-in better have a white belt to wear, unless they were dropping in from another dojo that was a part of the SKKA network where their rank was already recognized.

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Bruce Lee said "I don't look for opportunities I create them"

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed Opportunity? Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Solid post!!

I believe that you hit the nail of the question right on its head!! Calling first saves one any disappointments and embarrassments. Assumption is the mother of all mistakes, and not all are welcoming for one reason or another.

Personally, I've allowed "drop ins" to visit my dojo for as long as I can remember. It's a great way to see the other side of the MA from the outside looking in and vice versa.

I've also had the challenge types as well. I don't play that game, and will give them one chance to vacate my dojo before I help them find the door.

Our Hombu, when Soke and Dai-Soke were running it, they both being from Okinawa, had very strict protocol for "drop ins" that had to be meet to the Nth degree or they weren't welcomed. And yes, that drop-in better have a white belt to wear, unless the were dropping in from another dojo that was a part of the SKKA network where their rank was already recognized.

Agreed. I can see a potential student dropping in to watch a class but if you have the intention of training you should be respectful enough to call ahead and ask if they are amenable to it. If so make sure to disclose your grade and ask what their policy is for wearing your grade in their school.

Most important, be humble enough to wear a white belt.

All too often it turns into a pride thing where you will not train there unless you can wear your grade. It's just a piece of cloth and you are there to learn something new. Why this is such a hard concept for some to get around is puzzling to me. If your wanting to learn something new then you're new. New = white belt. Simple really.

Loose the pride and gain knowledge. Win, win if you ask me.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you make of this.

Bringing my Wing Chun sifu (wearing a baseball hat backwards, throughout the session) to have a class in Tai Chi where bowing and belt formalities are discarded.

Wing Chun and Tai Chi are know to be more informal than most systems; wearing a baseball hat could be OTT for most CI's to bear.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
What would you make of this.

Bringing my Wing Chun sifu (wearing a baseball hat backwards, throughout the session) to have a class in Tai Chi where bowing and belt formalities are discarded.

Wing Chun and Tai Chi are know to be more informal than most systems; wearing a baseball hat could be OTT for most CI's to bear.

As a sign of respect to the visiting dojo, mine, for example, the wearing of a baseball hat wouldn't be permitted because I find offense to the wearing of hats on the floor. I was raised that the training floor is a sacred place, and the wearing of a baseball hat, as a visiting Sifu, wouldn't be allowed. It's a sign of respect, if not for me, then for the floor.

Bring your WC Sifu, but have him leave his baseball hat somewhere else than on my floor...not today...not ever!! Now if I visit him, then by all means, wear a baseball hat backwards because it's his floor, and not mine.

Respecting the culture is very important, and be for sure, there is a certain culture within my dojo!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: