Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the area it might or might not be high. It's all about what the local economy can bear (as said).

Most places you'll see in my neck of hte woods are around 100/ month. Now for high end gyms with world class fighter/ trainers the dollar figure will go up.

TheKarateKid
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh boy! well for me a year long rego and insurance is $100 and each time i go to the dojo which is a pro organisation its $4AUD if i go or $2AUD if i go with my dad. so thats how i can train twice a week and not worry. although i do owe about $80 on rego so i should prolly do that tues or wed night.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$180 - $250 too high for martial arts instruction for me. Id pay that if my plan were fight in MMA competitions. Not all the time, the higher price, the best is it. Instructor who charges a lot of money, take it ease with there students in order to keep them in the gym paying. ive seen a lot of that. Ive also seen Instructors who charge $30 a month and they produce excellent students. You can pay 1 million a day and still get killed in a real life confrontation.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that's nuts. At the gym where I train Muay Thai, for 100 bucks a month you can get two MT and four BJJ classes a week. Add in an extra 20 bucks and you can get 2 Judo classes as well.

kamahlthedruid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Systema

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black house where Anderson Silva trains costs $120 for unlimited classes.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you plan on moving, you have a geographic limitation of which gym you can train at. Mainly you need to be able to get there and practice regularly. The gym can charge whatever the market will bear. If there is another gym in the area compare their terms and choose the better value. At this point you have a fiscal decision to make about how much learning MMA is worth to you. Basically it doesn't matter what they charge in my city. Your choice is simply yes or no.

MMA is popular, it can also be a profession. The practitioners work out and train frequently. They require alot of equipment, a lot of coaching and support staff to be available for long hours. just setting up your gym for MMA might require a bank loan. No question why it costs so much to join.

Why do you want to learn MMA? Do you plan on competing in that arena? Do you have professional fighting ambitions? If you just want to be a really good fighter you could probably find any traditional martial art being offered in your area for a lot less money.

shikantaza
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: karate-do, jiujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Gracie Jiujitsu gym charges $190/mo, min 3 months.
Fine with me: I feel lucky to have access to honest training.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently pay $5-10 a class to train with an 8th dan and a 5th dan. A lot of it depends if they're running it as a place to train together, or as a way to make money.

Daisho
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not all that crazy, my first Miyama Ryu school in NYC was 185 per month if you signed a 3 month contract… otherwise it was 200. However I also got a great deal on a local gym thanks to two of the sensei's being co owners of that as well.

so 10 bucks a month for a gym, plus 185 per month to train wasn't all that bad at all.

BladeSmartNY
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kali, JKD

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMA gyms have very high rates especially in NYC where I'm located. It's popular and real estate is expensive.

If you are paying top dollar for martial arts training, you better make sure your trainer is the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: