Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sd.bombon
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Movement / Fluidity Reply with quote

Cheers!! I just wanna get your guys opinion when it comes to foot work. Personally I believe it's very important, specially when it comes to stamina in fighting. Thou, I am finding it hard to find a partner who will exert the effort in practicing only foot work and so chasing practices.

Cause right now the equation I have in my head is to practice foot work first, once you have it down and can chase someone down by muscle memory that's when you can incorporate punches and kicks. Maybe do it while doing a heavy bag since you know you can already do it while chasing down an opponent.

As they say always practice basic, well I think this is the most basic of things. Am I in the right train of thought. As this will allow you to move out of the way of the strikes of your opponent. Not just stand their and duke it out with them.

Drew
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Boxing, Muay Thai, Sub Wrestling, Tai Chi, MMA, Medieval, Extreme Reaction Combat Scenarios (This is not a drill) Judo, formerly Mishima Style Karate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that Trav's head movement and footwork drills will at once make you very hard to hit and put you in a loaded position to throw damaging strikes, which sounds like what you're looking to do.

https://youtu.be/aGrcmEEEevw

He's a cornball but he knows his stuff

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Movement / Fluidity Reply with quote

sd.bombon wrote:
Cheers!! I just wanna get your guys opinion when it comes to foot work. Personally I believe it's very important, specially when it comes to stamina in fighting. Thou, I am finding it hard to find a partner who will exert the effort in practicing only foot work and so chasing practices.

Cause right now the equation I have in my head is to practice foot work first, once you have it down and can chase someone down by muscle memory that's when you can incorporate punches and kicks. Maybe do it while doing a heavy bag since you know you can already do it while chasing down an opponent.

As they say always practice basic, well I think this is the most basic of things. Am I in the right train of thought. As this will allow you to move out of the way of the strikes of your opponent. Not just stand their and duke it out with them.

Learning how to shift and transition is very important. However I think your usage of the term "chasing" is off in terms of fighting. Typically fights are close range and you do not need to chase, unless your referring to tournament point fighting. If your opponent is running from you in a real fight you have already won and foot work is no longer needed other than to walk yourself to where ever you're going.

Learning what is called Tai Sabaki is an excellent tool to add to your tool chest, however it does not replace. Learning foot work in and of itself is fine but you need to remember that your learning this with the understanding that the end goal is use in actual conflict. I would interject that learning foot work and striking in together is more practical than foot work alone unless you never intend to strike but instead wear your opponent out chasing you.

Your thoughts are in the right place but I think you are actually prolonging your training by not learning how to move and strike simultaneously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: