Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Multi-purpose MA room Reply with quote

My school is building a martial arts room onto the gym, and I'm helping choose the equipment that goes into it. What equipment/accessories/training tools do you suggest to encompass multiple martial arts? MA's included would be TKD, Judo, Karate, etc...I just need a general "inventory" to get us started since we have some budget constraints.

Thanks!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to mount one or two heavy bags, mirrors, mats, a crash mat, pullup bar... that would be a great start.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of heavy bags, body/kicking shields for the TKD/karate. 1/4" mats for karate/tkd and throw mats for judo.(if your school has a wrestling team, that would be the best mat you could get). that should cover the basics, esp, since its at school and will probably be an elective course and not have gradings. right?

Kumite988
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez I wish my school had a whole room for martial arts... Oh well.. Yeah...they mentioned about everything...But maybe two or three speedbags would be nice?

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavy bags, a makiwara, some mats, and some kicking pads i guess

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, do you know if thre are any wing chun (or jkd) people that might use the hall?

if there are then try to get hold of a decent wooden dummy.
i know they're a bit pricey but it is so much fun.

IF you do find that your budget can stretch for one then don't tell anyone you're getting it.
this is going to sound a bit lame but the wooden dummy is like part of the family to us wing chun guys.
when-ever and where-ever we see one, even a manky old one, it's like seeing an old friend.
so, don't tell anyone you're getting one, then watch their eyes light up and that smile appear....

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drunken Monkey wrote:
well, do you know if thre are any wing chun (or jkd) people that might use the hall?

if there are then try to get hold of a decent wooden dummy.
i know they're a bit pricey but it is so much fun.

IF you do find that your budget can stretch for one then don't tell anyone you're getting it.
this is going to sound a bit lame but the wooden dummy is like part of the family to us wing chun guys.
when-ever and where-ever we see one, even a manky old one, it's like seeing an old friend.
so, don't tell anyone you're getting one, then watch their eyes light up and that smile appear....

I'll be sure to do that. I had considered suggesting it to the faculty member I was speaking with, but the budget issue is a big one.
I'm wary of the school's wrestling room mats. They are often in use (by their VERY protective team), and I don't like their squishyness. They're very difficult to practice kata on but would be good for practicing throws. In addition, it's very unwise to be barefoot on them, as they are impossible to fully clean. In an MA room, athlete's foot would be the biggest problem. In the wrestling room, there are fears of ringworm and other such nasty things.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions, keep them coming!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh...
it's hard to believe that full grown men can get so attached to what literally is a piece of wood....

when you've had a long day, have just gotten home and need to release some office/school 'stress' old woody in the corner is there for you.
when you need to clear your mind from all of that autocad, old woody in the corner is there for you.
when you get up and are feeling a bit off, old woody in the corner is there for you.
when you've had an argument with your girlfriend and want to forget about things for a while, old woody in the corner is there for you.

the first thing i do when ever i get back from my travels is say hi to old woody (actually he's called tim in my house).

sigh...
broke my heart when i first noticed a crack on my first one.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Reklats
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....

Mats are important if there's going to be judo/grappling going on there. Super squishy ones like the kind you tumble on are bad though. Its easy to snag (and break) toes on them.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a slightly different note, that.... 'aroma' that the standard mats aquire after a while.
is there a way to prevent or remove?

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: