Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the shotokan section a story/legend was shared. It was suggested that maybe that should belong in here (philosophy).

So that being said does anyone have any stories/myths/legends about the martial arts to share?

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...Here's a short one :

-=-=-

Master Itosu was so well trained that his entire body seemed to be invulnerable. Once, as he was about to enter a restautant in Naha's amusment center, a sturdy young man attacked him from the rear, aiming a hearty blow at his side. But the latter, without even turning, hardened the muscles of his stomach so that the blow was glanced off his body, and at the very same instant his right hand grasped the right wrist of his assailant. Still without turning his head, he calmly dragged the man inside the restaurant.

There, he ordered the frightened waitresses to bring food and wine. Still holding the man's wrist with his right hand, he took a sip or the wine from the cup that he held in his left hand, then pulled his asailant aaround in front of him and for the first time had a look at him. After a moment, he smiled and said, "I dont know what youre grudge against me could be, but let's have a drink together." You could imagine the young mans asnoishment...

-=-=-

Who here would behave so kindly with street thugs? After all they may have a v.good reason to steal money from you. But then again, yea right!

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thats interesting jiggy I don't have one myself but I've heard many myths but not on martial arts

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting story Jiggy. I enjoy them.

The more I read about Master Itosu the more it seems that he had a very significant effect on the Okinawan/Japanese martial arts of the 20th century. Many of his students went on to become founders of their own styles.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Okinawa, there is a very poisonous pit viper called habu. Happily, its bite is no longer quite the fearsome thing that it was in my younger days when, if a person was bitten on hand or foot, the only way to save his life was immediate amputation. Now an effective serum has been developed, but it must be injected as soon as possible after the bite. Our Okinawan habu, which grows to a length of six or seven feet, is still a good beast to avoid.

Back in the old days before the development of the serum, I went one night to the house of
Master Azato for a karate practice session. This occurred several years after my marriage, and I asked my eldest son, then in primary school, to accompany me and carry the little lantern that lighted our way through the island night.

I had, naturally, often seen habu before, but never until that night had I seen one coiled to strike. Knowing, as every Okinawan does, their unpleasant habits, I very much doubted that it would slither off quite so submissively without making even an attempt to attack, so- terribly frightened though I was-I held the lantern in front of me as I crept into the field in scarch of the snake.

Part 2 to come later.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this one!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow Jiggy I am not surprised.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for that second part about the snake.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soon saw those two glistening eyes reflected in the light of the lantern and realized that the habu was indeed expecting me. It had set its trap and was now waiting for me to spring it. Fortunately, seeing me and seeing that swinging lantern, the snake abandoned his attack and this time disappeared for good into the darkness of the field.

It seemed to me that I had learned an important lesson from that viper. As we continued on our way toward Azato's house, I said to my son, "We all know about the habu's persistence. But this time that was not the danger. The habu we encountered appears to be familiar with the tactics of karate, and when it slid off into the field it was not running away from us. It was preparing for an attack. That habu understands very well the spirit of karate."

Meeting with a Viper
From "My Way of Life" by O-sensei Funakoshi

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: