Add KarateForums.com
tallgeese Celebrates 10 Years as a Moderator!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kickboxing, Boxing and Muay Thai
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

tdiedwards
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 76


PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: 'Nak Muay': A Muay Thai card game? Reply with quote

I'm trying to make one that reflects the scoring, rhythms and strategies of the sport. My research has opened up some fascinating insights, especially regarding how fights are scored. I've got a few ideas on how a fast, gritty game might work - but nothing too solid yet.

Before I go any further, I thought it might be wise to ask some fans and practitioners what they think.

My question really is simply this: What would be cool for you in a game like this?

Thank you very much for your thoughts!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 02 May 2015
Posts: 122
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is gonna be a card game of your creation?

In that case, are you gonna do a life based card game like Magic or will it be determined on who still has a deck by the end of the game?
_________________
"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

tdiedwards
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 76


PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoravencroft wrote:
This is gonna be a card game of your creation?

In that case, are you gonna do a life based card game like Magic or will it be determined on who still has a deck by the end of the game?



More like a latter, I think. At the moment, I see this as a game with lots of bidding. I've outlined some ideas in this game design forum here:

http://www.bgdf.com/node/20496

..to get some game designers' perspectives. But I'm also keen to hear from martial artists since my research into the sport and its scoring has really opened my eyes and I'm sure the game would benefit from some input by experienced officianados (as well as officianados of card games, in fact!)

Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

neoravencroft
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 02 May 2015
Posts: 122
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Styles: Wing Chun, JKD, Uechi-Ryu, Escrima, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will this be like Magic the Gathering with you playing a nameless avatar or will each player represent a Muay Thai fighter such as Baukaw or Sanchai?
_________________
"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

tdiedwards
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 76


PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoravencroft wrote:
So will this be like Magic the Gathering with you playing a nameless avatar or will each player represent a Muay Thai fighter such as Baukaw or Sanchai?



Each player represents a fighter. You can create your own fighter, with his own strengths and preferences. Then let rip and see if you can make him win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 175

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Nak Muay': A Muay Thai card game? Reply with quote

tdiedwards wrote:
I'm trying to make one that reflects the scoring, rhythms and strategies of the sport. My research has opened up some fascinating insights, especially regarding how fights are scored. I've got a few ideas on how a fast, gritty game might work - but nothing too solid yet.

Before I go any further, I thought it might be wise to ask some fans and practitioners what they think.

My question really is simply this: What would be cool for you in a game like this?

Thank you very much for your thoughts!


I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! I'm a Nak Muay AND a HUGE CCG and board game fan! This would be a must buy! I think the game i'm thinking of is the Dragon Ball CCG (I could be wrong about which game) but I THINK they have mechanic where you can set up combos and then the opponents can do counters (like instants in magic the gathering)....if not those would be some good elements to add! Also, maybe a position mechanic? for different range off attacks?

I love the idea, but maybe a way to "expand" on the idea, is to have it be more like a "K-1" , instead of muay thai, where you could have different stand up styles and techniques...this would add to the depth of techniques and game strategies. Just a thought. Either way, keep me updated!
_________________
Per Aspera Ad Astra
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

tdiedwards
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 76


PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 'Nak Muay': A Muay Thai card game? Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:
tdiedwards wrote:
I'm trying to make one that reflects the scoring, rhythms and strategies of the sport. My research has opened up some fascinating insights, especially regarding how fights are scored. I've got a few ideas on how a fast, gritty game might work - but nothing too solid yet.

Before I go any further, I thought it might be wise to ask some fans and practitioners what they think.

My question really is simply this: What would be cool for you in a game like this?

Thank you very much for your thoughts!


I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! I'm a Nak Muay AND a HUGE CCG and board game fan! This would be a must buy! I think the game i'm thinking of is the Dragon Ball CCG (I could be wrong about which game) but I THINK they have mechanic where you can set up combos and then the opponents can do counters (like instants in magic the gathering)....if not those would be some good elements to add! Also, maybe a position mechanic? for different range off attacks?

I love the idea, but maybe a way to "expand" on the idea, is to have it be more like a "K-1" , instead of muay thai, where you could have different stand up styles and techniques...this would add to the depth of techniques and game strategies. Just a thought. Either way, keep me updated!


Hi chrissyp,

Thanks very much for your thoughts and ideas. It's incredibly useful to get feedback like that.

I'm happy you a mentioned position mechanic. I agree that it's a must and should be a central feature to the story of the fight.

At the moment I'm at a point where I'm working with a 2 range mechanic - a reversible card that reminds you whether you're at long (kick) range or clinch (elbow, etc) range - and your 'bid' gets doubled if you choose an attack of appropriate range. The range changes to the range of whichever attack was successful. Punches don't double bids in that way, but they carry hefty bonuses instead whichever range you're at. And when you succeed with a punch, you get to choose the range. So, for example, if you're at kicking distance you could try to charge straight in with a clinch attack (difficult and expensive) - or you could use a punch to close the distance and set things up.

I think there should also be a card to play to gain Dominant Clinch position - which will provide nasty bonuses for the fighter that gained the position...

Thanks for all your thought and ideas on this. I will give all of them serious (re)consideration...

I will keep things updated here as well as in the game design forum. When I have a prototype done, I would love it if you would let me give you a print and play version to experiment with?

Cheers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kickboxing, Boxing and Muay Thai All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >