Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tehIpwn
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Need help identifying training piece Reply with quote

Well this is hard for me to explain. But I want to know what a certain piece of equipment is, and if they are worth using and how one would use it.

The only place I've seen them is on the movies and they are made of wood. With a central pole with many other horizontaly protruding poles. I see them blocking and punching the protruding poles and I'm not sure if they are sectioned where if you hit a pole I believe that section may rotate.

Anyone know what these things are? And if you do know maybe you could post a pic. And also maybe enlighten me if they are a good addition to my training regimen as I tend to take my training very seriously.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean something like this? It's called a wooden dummy and it is a central part of Wing Chun training. They're also used in Choy Lay Fut and Jeet Kune Do.

Try this website for sales and more pics of wooden dummies.

Sheffield Steelers!

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a wooden dummy,cherish it, I would love to get one but they are a little pricey....

tehIpwn
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aefibird thanks for the very helpful reply man. It's been bothering me for a while. I know I'm not going to buy one because it's 800 bucks but it looks fairly simple to build for anyone who knows their way around a sawmill and has some skills.

Could you tell me if it would be fairly simple to learn how to practice on it, myself being in Goju Ryu.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're pretty simple to build. We have 3 in my Wing Chun club and the Sifu built them all himself.

As for training on it, you'd be better off getting an instructor to show you how to use one, but if that's not possible there are some good instructional videos out there.

Although I only use the dummy when I train at Wing Chun, I've found it to be helpful for my karate training as well.

I'd like to have my own wooden dummy one day, but until I finally finish the loft (attic) conversion that I've been working on for donkeys years I haven't got any room for a dummy... unless I could live without a dining room table or a sofa... hmm, actually....

Sheffield Steelers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: