Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Netflix: The Real Miyagi & Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Reply with quote

In case you haven't heard, Netflix has "The Real Miyagi" and the "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" sequel.

"The Real Miyagi" is a documentary on Fumio Demura, who many of you know was the martial art double for Pat Morita in "The Karate Kid" movies. You might not know that Morita based his portrayal of Mr. Miyagi on Demura Sensei. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it has been well received. If you don't have Netflix, the DVD is available for purchase. It should be easy enough to find if you search.

I watched "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny". It was OK. Didn't love it. My wife fell asleep. It was released on both Netflix and in theaters in the U.S. on the same day. I'm glad I didn't spring for IMAX. I'm sure the visuals would've been great, but I don't think I would've felt like I got my money's worth.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Miyagi available for streaming, or just by DVD? I'm away from the tv right now to check. Been looking forward to the Miyagi documentary.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both on streaming:

The Real Miyagi: https://www.netflix.com/title/80094358
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny (a Netflix original movie): https://www.netflix.com/title/80039717
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched Sword of destiny last night, personally, I was very dissapointed. Felt that it was a non-Chinese production, most of the actors were not chinese. (Original dialogue in english), very much a "made for TV" flick and not a chinese epic. Production values were OK, just the accents and the plot were pretty generic.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched The Real Miyagi Saturday night. Excellent documentary. I did not realize the impact this man had on Karate over the years.

That was time well spent.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished watching The Real Miyagi. Honestly, I was disappointed.

I thought it would be more biographical. The Karate Kid and Pat Morita stuff was all fine and good, but it took up too much of it. I know, it's called The Real Miyagi for a reason.

I didn't get a sense of why he's such a legend beyond the demos he did and working in Hollywood. His students all seem extremely loyal, and said he was a father figure. How? No specifics really given. I didn't get a sense of what it's truly like to be his student. They didn't even mention the name of his organization nor style of karate that I remember. Very little footage of him actually teaching.

He overcame post WWII racism, injected some humor into his demos, wrote some books, worked with Morita in bringing the Miyagi character to life, did some other Hollywood stuff, and nearly died.

That's all good, but what about the essence of Demura? Why did his students hold him in such high regard beyond 'he's dedicated' or 'he's a father figure?' He's obviously loved by his students, but not one story like "...one time I was training and Demura Sensei came over to me..." or "I was in this impossible situation and Demura Sensei helped me by..."

I think it could have been so much better. Have his students tell stories of what he did to help them. Have martial artists talk about how he changed the face of karate. Give specifics.

I don't know who the target audience of it was. I don't feel like it was karate enough. I think die hard Karate Kids fans will watch it once and be done.

I don't get a sense of what really makes Demura a legend beyond Hollywood. He's truly a master's master; one of the last of a generation of legends. Maybe I have him built up too much in my head and there's really not as much to tell as I think there is. Probably not though.

If you have Netflix and an hour and a half to kill, then by all means. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it though.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that if anyone watches the Real Miyagi with any preconceived notions one way or another, one will walk away not being fulfilled...I'll watch it tonight, if for no other reason(s) but curiosity.

In addition...

I just watched The Real Miyagi, and I appreciated what I viewed. You see, if we're trying for Demura Sensei to be molded into our expectations about him, then we're falling quite short.

If we don't think that Demura Sensei isn't some type of a karate legend, then we're trying to mold him into what we want him to be, and not what he wants to be, both as a person as well as a practitioner of the MA.

We fail to look beyond what he's known for outside of the MA, but what he did in Hollywood, that pales greatly compared to what he's achieved on the floor.

For me, this was not a loss of an hour and a half out of my life. I've known about this great karateka for quite along, long time, and while I'm not from his roots/lineage, I respect him across the board. I've followed his MA life, alas from afar, and from time to time, from near. I've been to his dojo in Santa Ana, and I've seen him perform in Vegas, as well as in the Japanese Deer Park.

Near flawless across the board.

He's earned my respect, and if he's not earned you, then, well, that's your choice, and I must respect that...even though I may not completely understand as to why not.

If the producers and the director failed to convey the true essence of Demura Sensei, then, imho, that's the fault of them, and not of Demura Sensei; the essence is there, if one just looks with an open and kind mind.

We've our own opinions, and I do respect them, although, I find myself scratching my head in wonderment for those who might think otherwise.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I believe that if anyone watches the Real Miyagi with any preconceived notions one way or another, one will walk away not being fulfilled...I'll watch it tonight, if for no other reason(s) but curiosity.

In addition...

I just watched The Real Miyagi, and I appreciated what I viewed. You see, if we're trying for Demura Sensei to be molded into our expectations about him, then we're falling quite short.

If we don't think that Demura Sensei isn't some type of a karate legend, then we're trying to mold him into what we want him to be, and not what he wants to be, both as a person as well as a practitioner of the MA.

We fail to look beyond what he's known for outside of the MA, but what he did in Hollywood, that pales greatly compared to what he's achieved on the floor.

For me, this was not a loss of an hour and a half out of my life. I've known about this great karateka for quite along, long time, and while I'm not from his roots/lineage, I respect him across the board. I've followed his MA life, alas from afar, and from time to time, from near. I've been to his dojo in Santa Ana, and I've seen him perform in Vegas, as well as in the Japanese Deer Park.

Near flawless across the board.

He's earned my respect, and if he's not earned you, then, well, that's your choice, and I must respect that...even though I may not completely understand as to why not.

If the producers and the director failed to convey the true essence of Demura Sensei, then, imho, that's the fault of them, and not of Demura Sensei; the essence is there, if one just looks with an open and kind mind.

We've our own opinions, and I do respect them, although, I find myself scratching my head in wonderment for those who might think otherwise.

I like your post. I'd have liked to see more of him as a person, outside of what I already knew, mainly the Hollywood stuff.

His skill and technique are impeccable, to say the least. I'd just liked to see him talk about what drives him, how he's stayed passionate about karate for all these decades, etc.

I don't look at it as 90 minutes I'll never get back either. I'd just like to see more about the karateka, not the Hollywood consultant and stunt man.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny", and like John, I thought it was barely ok. Stayed in the theme of the first one. Having said that, I dreed MA movies where they, well, fly around, even though they flew around more with the first one.

Good thing about the movie was that they spoke in English and I didn't have to read the dialogue.

Grade, imho, a 'C'

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Grade, imho, a 'C'

I'm with you there, they could have split into 4 and had a HBO type mini series. That was the feel I got from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: