Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Steinhauers
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: New to Karate and have a question about my Gei fitting. Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm sorta new to Karate and I just got my Gei. I wear a size 5 gei and they fit fine in the waist but are way to long. So I went and had them tailored up so I wasn't walking all over them. They now hang between my heel and my ankle. So my question is.... Is that where I want them to fit me? Are they too long or short?

Thanks, Seth

Rich67
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, San Soo, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gi's usually run real large, and the length of the pants are definitely always in need of tailoring. It's a matter or preference, I always liked mine to hang about an inch or so above my heel. Some guys like em real short; like "flood" pants- I think that looks a little funny.

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you aren't stepping on them...

I've seen some older pics where they look like capri pants

Steinhauers
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks alot. I didn't want them real short but I didn't want them getting in my way all the time.

Thanks for the quick reply,
Seth

CanuckMA
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you wash it in COLD water and hang it to dry otherwise the gi will shrink . A LOT.

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two styles; Europian cut, which is basically the longer one (ankle length) for kumite (fighting) and Japanese cut which are shorter for kata, their shorter so the judges can see your feet and if your doing the techniques right. I'd say a good fit is if it reaches the ankle, i prefer europian cut gi's.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich_2k3 wrote:
There are two styles; Europian cut, which is basically the longer one (ankle length) for kumite (fighting) and Japanese cut which are shorter for kata, their shorter so the judges can see your feet and if your doing the techniques right. I'd say a good fit is if it reaches the ankle, i prefer europian cut gi's.

Personally, if the judge needs to "see" your feet, he has no business judging. A good, experienced judge should be able to knwo where that foot is and how it's positioned if the gi goes all the way to the floor.

The old style gi had shorter pant legs. It was just the way that they wore their pants. Yes, it looks a bit odd now days, so I'd say that it depends on what your sensei wants in his class. If he doesn't care, hem them so that they are a bit higher (in my opinion anyway) that you would normally wear a pair of jeans so that during practice, if the waist should loosen a bit, they don't fall down around your feet. That could cause you to trip over them, or cause a distractuion while you're doing kata or such.

I'm 6'6" tall (around 198cm) and when I first started..ALL of my gi pants looked like I was expecting a flood at any moment! lol I have long ago switched to another brand which goes down to just above my ankle. UI've never had to hem a pair yet.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're not tripping over your gi, then it doesn't matter too much what length you have the bottoms.
It's a good idea to get a gi slightly larger than you need IMO, to account for shrinkage when washing. Gi's need to be washed on a cold wash or they will shrink like crazy (I found this out to my cost when I started karate...), but even if you wash them in cold water they sometimes do tend to shrink a bit anyway.

Sheffield Steelers!

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I boil wash my Gi every couple of weeks, and normal (hot) wash them after every training sesion. They shrink the first two/three times but after that they're ok. IMO get one thats too big then once its finished shrinking hem it up if neccasary.

Boil wash also keeps them much cleaner than a cold wash does.

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different people like the gi at different lengths. I know some people that like the pantlegs to be above their ankles...personally I like it to be just above the floor, just barely short enough to where they don't drag and I'm not stepping on them.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: