Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: New York City Reply with quote

I may be in NYC the middle of next week. I will be traveling on Tuesday, coming back Friday. I was wondering what might be going on MA-wise that I could see or do.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to grapple at all, Marcello Garcia's mothership school is in NYC. He's very welcoming to students who come in to train and has a reputation for rolling with them if at all possible.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might look into that. BJJ looks fun.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I did make it to New York, and I did make it to class. I tried to get in with Marcello Garcia, but, he did not have a class appropriate for my skill level available. They recommended the Renzo Gracie Academy at 224 W 30th St. It was the last morning we were going to be in NY. So I got up at 0545 and walked the .6 mile and arrived about 40 min early. So after standing outside for approx 30 min I noticed that the proper door to use was not the obvious one, but the brass one. After signing the waiver and letting me use a house gi (it was clean) I joined class. After a brief warm up of light jogging, side-shuffling, shrimping, ukemi and push ups the white belts went to a separate room. This was a blast. The instructors were all top notch, attentive and genuinely wanted to teach. My only complaint which may not even be a real complaint as it seems normal in NY was the lack of air conditioning. I was sweating like a beast, and not just from the workout. But that was most places we went. Based on my experience I would recommend this school to anyone. If I had not been leaving in the early afternoon I would have tried to stay the whole day. They off BJJ, Muay Tai and a couple other disciplines. They charge a flat monthly rate for all the training you want.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Just an update. I did make it to New York, and I did make it to class. I tried to get in with Marcello Garcia, but, he did not have a class appropriate for my skill level available. They recommended the Renzo Gracie Academy at 224 W 30th St. It was the last morning we were going to be in NY. So I got up at 0545 and walked the .6 mile and arrived about 40 min early. So after standing outside for approx 30 min I noticed that the proper door to use was not the obvious one, but the brass one. After signing the waiver and letting me use a house gi (it was clean) I joined class. After a brief warm up of light jogging, side-shuffling, shrimping, ukemi and push ups the white belts went to a separate room. This was a blast. The instructors were all top notch, attentive and genuinely wanted to teach. My only complaint which may not even be a real complaint as it seems normal in NY was the lack of air conditioning. I was sweating like a beast, and not just from the workout. But that was most places we went. Based on my experience I would recommend this school to anyone. If I had not been leaving in the early afternoon I would have tried to stay the whole day. They off BJJ, Muay Tai and a couple other disciplines. They charge a flat monthly rate for all the training you want.

Awesome to hear! Glad you had a great time. Certainly you can't go wrong with Renzo's place!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that you had a great time! I was in NYC on Thursday and Friday and pretty close to you, too! Hahaha. I think I walked by that academy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! If you ever get the chance I recommend a chance. The Marcello Garcia Academy is in the same area too.

Tula223
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC... my dream

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tula223 wrote:
NYC... my dream

I would not want to live in NYC, although I can see the appeal. My only complaint and I am not sure if I can really complain as it seemed to be how most places were. The lack of air conditioning. Unless there was a product that would suffer from excessive heat everywhere seemed not to really bother with AC.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same spirit of my trip to New York, I now need to decide on a trip for my 40th birthday. While I do not particularly care about my age (it is a number after all), the other half wants to take me on a trip for my 40th in November. I know she is thinking somewhere tropical. I would be happy with staying home with my family. I also have committed to myself that when the opportunity to travel presents itself, that I would train in something I do not normally have the opportunity to otherwise. Even if it is just an intro class. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for budget friendly travel near dojos. I know she wants something tropical and taking a 6-year-old (our girl spawn) will also be desired. For the record, I train in Shotokan with Judo and Jujitsu mixed in and I have done 1 intro class to BJJ.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: