Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, then why has the number of abductions,rapes, and shootings/ murders seem to be an every night occurance. I will admit is better than what it was a few years ago? I stopped watching the news altogether because every night there was at least one shooting. Depressing to say the least. I'm no statistical expert but I can tell you I didn't see that every night when I was a kid. It was shocking to see that on the news. Now, it's just par for the course.

It most certainly is true. http://www.freerangekids.com/crime-statistics/

The reason you see it more now is because news moves faster and is EVERYWHERE. Someone sees someone who kinda creeps them out in a park in LA and within minutes it's shared on social media with people all over the world (even if literally nothing comes of it because it was just a normal, innocent guy walking in the park). You're just exposed to it more.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
If this is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, then why has the number of abductions,rapes, and shootings/ murders seem to be an every night occurance. I will admit is better than what it was a few years ago? I stopped watching the news altogether because every night there was at least one shooting. Depressing to say the least. I'm no statistical expert but I can tell you I didn't see that every night when I was a kid. It was shocking to see that on the news. Now, it's just par for the course.

The reason you see it more now is because news moves faster and is EVERYWHERE. Someone sees someone who kinda creeps them out in a park in LA and within minutes it's shared on social media with people all over the world (even if literally nothing comes of it because it was just a normal, innocent guy walking in the park). You're just exposed to it more.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

I agree with the crime rate being at it's lowest in decades...except for the fact that according to 538, murder is up for the 3rd straight year in a row, although not as much as the previous 2 years. Now this applies only in the U.S., but it is an interesting statistic to consider with regard to crime rates.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
Lupin1 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:

I agree with the crime rate being at it's lowest in decades...except for the fact that according to 538, murder is up for the 3rd straight year in a row, although not as much as the previous 2 years. Now this applies only in the U.S., but it is an interesting statistic to consider with regard to crime rates.

A friend of mine is a reporter for a major TV station down in Detroit. She says that they sometimes don't report on some murders, simply because there aren't enough reporters to cover the stories on a given day. Frequently, those stories that do get airtime do not get followed up on due to the time/manpower constraints.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are depressing stats no matter how you look at it. Depressing to say the least.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New school masters lose their passion for teaching, as well; the old masters don't have the monopoly on that. Share and share alike, I say.

Reaching burnout does happen within our industry, and it can be a sad thing, but an even more disheartening to witness, and even more alarming to experience oneself.

Does that mean that that instructor, old and new, is worthless? No. It means that they're human after all.

I've experienced that burnout myself from time to time. Check this KF link...

http://www.karateforums.com/instructor-burnout-vt39059.html

Whether it be deemed as losing ones passion for teaching or it being deemed as burnout, it happen to a lot of instructors, no matter the circa, no matter the individual, and no matter the cause(s).

Knocked down 7 times, but getting back up 8 times!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How To Avoid Burnout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE8-eQJlZOM

How to Handle Burnout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYWrSCZDroM

15 minutes a day to prevent burnout | Paul Koeck | TEDxFlandersWomen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk3OAGcjQPA

Be The Warrior Not The Worrier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyVetL1MEw

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bugs me the most with traditional instructors is their rigorness/fixation on precise, microscopic stances, instead of trying to teach correct execution, which is what ultimately matters. Stances are fluid, not rigid, in real combat, .

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
What bugs me the most with traditional instructors is their rigorness/fixation on precise, microscopic stances, instead of trying to teach correct execution, which is what ultimately matters. Stances are fluid, not rigid, in real combat, .
Body flow like this is better?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aFExFYctrB0

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:

Our master instructor focuses a lot on our stances, but also focuses on our technique, in general. He says that if we ever need to use what we are learning, we won't have perfect technique, but we will be close enough to make things work.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: