Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see too many people who practice all this technique and don't pratice the single most effective thing. This will greatly increase your chances of not getting hit, and winning a fight; Bruce Lee practiced this more than he did his actual techniques (according to Linda Lee); and without it you will never be complete...

It's called footwork. Even boxers need it. Especially BOXERS in fact. I asked a guys to hit me with a jab/cross combo and he walked towards me, so i stepped back and kicked him in the stomach. Then he tried to slide in and i did a snap roundhouse to his head (not hitting him)... He didn't realise that by keeping his guard up that he could slide in with his front foot (bringing the backfoot up immediately after the front foot had stopped) and shoot out a jab, and then rotate on his back foot and shoot a cross that could reach just as far.

Too many people and not aware of the subtleties of boxing, and the fact that u can do these things and still invorporate your kicking and grappling techniques. All it takes is practice. So if u ever get hold of a guy who does boxing then talk to him about footwork, and get him to show u some moves.

Then, and only then, will u be able to get yo' groove on!
Angus

SuperMinh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:nod:That's true Angus, i've only come across the extreme importance of footwork when i started kickboxing. Before that, while i was into kung fu or karate, i gave little importance to moving around and stuff. I thought i could push opponents back by staying there and not moving around a lot.
Now i've learnt...
Footwork, when well incorporated to your technique, makes you the best fighter you've ever been. You get almost untouchable...

SuperMinh

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with Angus as well.

When doing sparring (yes, the gloried game of tag) I was quite nervous (there are reasons, but they're not important). I used to stand still with a high guard and wait for the opponent to make a move.

Now I've gained more confidence I like to jump around on my feet, and I find this is a lot more effective. Isn't it Moobrack?......LOL

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellant tips. It is all to easy for those who practice and "eastern" martial art to "write off" boxing and any other "wester" way of fighting as well.

I find it interesting that Ali's old training camp is retrofitted as a karate camp now.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree completely. A number of our grappling techniques are taught with little emphasis on the actual grab to start. The emphasis is in proper stepping, so that you're positioned correctly for the throw.

We also work on footwork when sparring. We try and teach to continuously move in circles around your apponent, as to always be in close for a counter after a forced near miss.

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my criticisms of martial arts in general is the linear movements. Martial artists should watch boxers and learn how to move laterally and in a circular motion.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right... Some martial arts i have studied have also written off the quick jab - saying that it would never be use in a street fight. Well, with the correct use it is quite effective i believe. It's useless if you're standing still, but moving in a circular motion to the outer side of the person's guard then u allow yourself a window to punch them in the eye or the cheek... Very cool stuff.

Angus

dreamer38f
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we need footwork, I totally agree.

Now have you got some good drills
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a drill as such, skipping is a very effective way of developing balance while moving on the balls of the feet, co-ordination and remaining light on the feet.
I imagine that every world class fighter uses skipping to sharpen their footwork.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drills.... well, i can't really offer any drills until u know the proper technique...

U'd really have to talk to someone who knows the boxing kinda footwork and take it form there... Sorry.

Angus

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: