Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bradlee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Opinion of self training iaido? Reply with quote

Hi was just asking opinions do you think someone could Train iaido
I have had a bit of formal training
I also have 18 years of karate
We are in a remote area that is why I can't go to a school

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

self training and self teaching are two very different processes. learning any martial art by oneself is never going to be as good as recieving training from a qualified instructor/teacher. with 18 years of karate training, (as long as it was quality training) you may know the foot placements and body movements as iado and kenjustsu in general are similar to striking and moves as karate. but you would have to be able to staudy the fine nuances of the art to really "get it" properly. and then there is the spiritual side to iado that you would almost have to have a teacher for. could you learn the forms, probably. but could you learn the art as a whole....possibly, but it would probably take much time and intense study to become even somewhat proficient. if there is no other way then studying alone may be the only way, just make sure you are thorough and no shortcuts are taken. which is very hard to do if not impossible.

Bradlee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice

Bradlee
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice
Did not think of the spiritual side of it
I think that would be tha hard part

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true iaido is a philosophy of morals, without a zenful approach of "mushin no shin" it isnt really iaido. that would be a problem of being self taught. now if you just want to learn sword kata that may be do-able with time and patience

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion of self training iaido? Reply with quote

Bradlee wrote:
Hi was just asking opinions do you think someone could Train iaido
I have had a bit of formal training
I also have 18 years of karate
We are in a remote area that is why I can't go to a school

IMO Iaido, unlike most other martial arts, is uniquely well suited for solo practice. Why? It's mostly katas. There's no sparring, no partner drills, and no interaction with others.

IMO you'd still need to get taught first (since you won't have the eye for knowing what to look for in your technique, e.g. "I didn't know I was slashing with the wrong angle"), but you can do so much more solo work with iaido than you'd do in karate or judo

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, there are a lot of subtleties in Iaido and other sword arts, and a teacher will help you learn much quicker. With the advent of Zoom meetings, it's become much more common to do remote MA training, so that is certainly an option. However, I'd look for someone who is reasonably close to you, who you could visit in person every month or so. Video training is good -- in person training is much better.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a very similar situation myself, been a karate-ka my whole life, a few years ago found an Iaido club, trained on an off for around 2 years, until I moved and could no longer keep it up.

I have been trying to keep on top of what I did learn, which was basically just the 12 seitei kata, just because I enjoy doing them mainly, you have to have a clear reason what you want to achieve from your self training, if you want to do it to keep up with the current training standards in Iaido schools it would be very difficult, as already mentioned, there are so many little details in Iaido that are easily missed if not training under a watchful eye... and bad habits can easily start to form... I also noticed from my time in Iaido that there tends to be a big gathering every so often, and then the instructor comes back to show you small subtle differences in the tiny details of the kata! so after a while your training will likely become out-dated...

For me, with what I want to get out of it I'm fine with being slightly out-dated and possibly develop slightly incorrect habits, because I enjoy practising it now just for me, with the view that if the opportunity comes up to join another club, I'll still have the basic knowledge of those forms and can then work on correcting the details then...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: