Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gotten the permission of the University to run a tournament on their property??

First thing is first, imho.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
I can only go based on what we do in the US. In the U.S., not having legal counsel on an event like that is the same as bringing all of your possessions and giving them to all the participants.

The legal counsel will write up all of your release forms and make sure everything you do is on the up and up. Probably $1000 worth of work. Divide that over 300 competitors, it's an additional $3.00 each person to ensure they can't successfully sue you.

You may be right about the insurance of the event location. They may have some of their own. But it could be limited or only cover certain things. Check with them to see what their requirements are for you to carry insurance.

The only other think I'd do is have an accountant (or tax professional of some sort) look over how you handle the revenue from the event.

I know you're thinking of it as a martial arts venture. But you really need to look at is from the perspective of a business venture. Even if you're not looking to make much out of it, you need to be sure you, and more importantly your family, are protected from liability.

I'm really planning a very small event, I don't expect more than 20 people or so to be interested. My university is pretty small, and in my experience only a small percentage of people are interested in martial arts competitons.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Have you gotten the permission of the University to run a tournament on their property??

It isn't going to be on university property, I intend to rent a space at the nearby sports centre. when I say 'for my university' I mean that I'm only going to promote, advertise, and poll for interest within the community of my university. I really just want a very casual tournament, ideally suitable for people with varying levels of experience.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guird wrote:
ps1 wrote:
I can only go based on what we do in the US. In the U.S., not having legal counsel on an event like that is the same as bringing all of your possessions and giving them to all the participants.

The legal counsel will write up all of your release forms and make sure everything you do is on the up and up. Probably $1000 worth of work. Divide that over 300 competitors, it's an additional $3.00 each person to ensure they can't successfully sue you.

You may be right about the insurance of the event location. They may have some of their own. But it could be limited or only cover certain things. Check with them to see what their requirements are for you to carry insurance.

The only other think I'd do is have an accountant (or tax professional of some sort) look over how you handle the revenue from the event.

I know you're thinking of it as a martial arts venture. But you really need to look at is from the perspective of a business venture. Even if you're not looking to make much out of it, you need to be sure you, and more importantly your family, are protected from liability.

I'm really planning a very small event, I don't expect more than 20 people or so to be interested. My university is pretty small, and in my experience only a small percentage of people are interested in martial arts competitons.

My business is small when you compare it to Microsoft. A single person can destroy your entire life. Again, I don't know ANYTHING about rules and laws where you are. In the U.S., doing even a small tourney without proper consultation would be foolhardy at best. If you're taking money for service (They pay to compete), it's a business and should be treated as such.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guird wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

It isn't going to be on university property, I intend to rent a space at the nearby sports centre. when I say 'for my university' I mean that I'm only going to promote, advertise, and poll for interest within the community of my university. I really just want a very casual tournament, ideally suitable for people with varying levels of experience.

I see, my bad...sorry!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, is it neccessary to get sanctions from governing organisations to host a small, non-commercial event like this?

I don't think it's necessary because of it being a free-market. However, to use a governing organizations "brand", will require a letter of approval from them, and this letter must be filed accordingly and appropriately.

EDIT: Spelled "filed" incorrectly: "filled"...I'm a dork!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Quote:
Also, is it neccessary to get sanctions from governing organisations to host a small, non-commercial event like this?

I don't think it's necessary because of it being a free-market. However, to use a governing organizations "brand", will require a letter of approval from them, and this letter must be filled accordingly and appropriately.

ah, ok. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: