Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Original Tiger claw fact or fiction Reply with quote

Fact or fiction either way fascinating! My Sensei told me a story about 35 years ago about the original tiger claw style from China.

Foot binding (lotus foot) was a common practice in China for status reasons and beauty/vanity reasons also. This foot binding would stunt the foot from growing naturally.

Another practice was hand binding for martial artists to create the Tiger claw. This is the way the story was told to me and so it is just that, a story. True or not perhaps we will never know.

In ancient China villages had their prize fighters. Boys raised from birth to fight for the honor of the village. That was their status in the village 'Tiger claw fighters' Everything they wanted or needed was done for them. They were trained to fight bear handedly. With one exception, their hands were bound in to a fist.

As the child grew the fingernails would pierce the palms. As the child grew so would the fingernails grow through the child's hand. Eventually the nails would pierce totally through the hand to come out on top. The nails would curl over the four knuckles forming the Tiger claw.

Seems we may have seen something similar to this in the movies, such as 'Wolverine' from 'The X Men'

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story about the nails is interesting. I couldn't find anything about it searching on the internet (other than this post). Who told you the story and did they give a tradition from which it was passed down? I love hearing folk lore but I can't find anything on this.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story (Tiger claw) was handed down to me from my Sensei pre internet. I don't want to give out his name but his initials are Mr G P

We can assume everything is written down, this is just not so. Martial art sensitivity training is transferred through touch and practice, that cannot be caught on camera or explained in a book. My Wing Chun teacher was third generation to Ip Man. My Wing Chun Sifu taught me things not possible through verbalizations alone.

My (story telling) Sensei was a Master in Shotokan. I know he had some Chinese martial art experience also by the way he would use some references to it. Shotokan karate can easily be switched to 'Dragon Ying' Kung fu. Just by changing punches or blocks for grabs. Also relaxing the body instead of tensing it.

Claude van Dame practiced Shotokan and switched it to 'Dragon Yin' style in the movies that he played in. This is not factual, it is just my observational opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: