Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

valaxone
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Please Help - Advice needed on Focus Targets Reply with quote

Hello,

My son is 10 years old and is just getting started in martial arts. He's involved in a "mixed" martial arts program based on "practical" self defense. The instructors have recommended using focus targets and muay thai kicking pads. There are quite a few manufacturers out there - and I don't know who makes durable products or to go with leather versus vinyl products. www.ringside.com seems to have the focus targets for about 35-65 dollars a pair and kick pads for $70.00 or so. Has anyone heard of Aries, Top Contender, Ultimate Classic, or TKO products? Are these good, durable products? Are there any other sites or manufacturers who I should purchase from? Are these products helpful/necessary for improving skills?

I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money, but I don't want to underspend and have a product fall apart either.

Plus, does anyone know of any resources for how to use the focus targets properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always recommend eBay. I have bought nearly all of my MA gear off it!

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto! I'd recommend ebay as a good source of MA gear. If you don't want to purchase from ebay then check with your sons MA club and see which brands they use.

If possible, go for leather rather than vinyl, as it'll be longer lasting and hardwearing. Although, if the pads are only going to be used by your son you should be able to get away with buying the cheapest sort. We have Century, Blitz and Playwell gear at my karate school.

As for drills with focus pads, try asking your son's instructor. Or you could join the class and have a go yourself! I know several martial artists who have become involved in MA because of their children training.

Sheffield Steelers!

Last edited by aefibird on Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me a cheapskate if you ant to, but a 10 year old isn't going to be kicking hard enough to warrent buying something that is real heavy duty.

Personally, for cost effectibveness, go to WalMart or the thrift store and buy some cheap cushions.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Help - Advice needed on Focus Targets Reply with quote

valaxone wrote:
Hello,

My son is 10 years old and is just getting started in martial arts. He's involved in a "mixed" martial arts program based on "practical" self defense. The instructors have recommended using focus targets and muay thai kicking pads. There are quite a few manufacturers out there - and I don't know who makes durable products or to go with leather versus vinyl products. www.ringside.com seems to have the focus targets for about 35-65 dollars a pair and kick pads for $70.00 or so. Has anyone heard of Aries, Top Contender, Ultimate Classic, or TKO products? Are these good, durable products? Are there any other sites or manufacturers who I should purchase from? Are these products helpful/necessary for improving skills?

I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money, but I don't want to underspend and have a product fall apart either.

Plus, does anyone know of any resources for how to use the focus targets properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Depending on the size of your 10 year old, I believe that you can get by on the square focus mitts sold by many of the leading martial arts supply stores on-line. They can even be found on EBay for a better price. I use the century brand, and my adult students are able to pound away at it with no problems, and has held up well so far.

As for the muay thai kick pads, you might also look into some that are made of vinyl. Again it may be easier on your pocket book, and provide enough absorbsion and protection for you and your son.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been using century products for years and I recommend the Muay Thai pads, they are vinyl, but in my school they have been used and abused by some pretty hard kicking and punching individuals for 3 years, with no signs of tears or broken stitching. Plus, with their replacement warranty you can't go wrong!
As far as resources, start with what your son does in class and just practice at home, as he learns more you will be able to do different things with them.

valaxone
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: cushions didn't work well.... Reply with quote

Call me a cheapskate if you ant to, but a 10 year old isn't going to be kicking hard enough to warrent buying something that is real heavy duty.

Personally, for cost effectibveness, go to WalMart or the thrift store and buy some cheap cushions.

I tried the cushions, but they didn't work well. My son is punching and kicking harder than almost everyone his age group (and even 2-3 years older). I think I'm going to go w/ mebbe some ringside punching mitts and the century muay thai kick pads.

Any other comments or suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: