Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

yoriki816
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shodan Yoseikan Aikido, Shodan Goshin Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been studying martial arts for nearly a decade and have dabbled in many different arts, including traditional styles of Aikido, Jujitsu, and various striking arts as well as the more eclectic or non-tradional styles such as JKD, Kali, Escrima, and Shootfighting, and can see both sides of this argument.

The traditional offers structure and methodology that is necessary for a lot of students to grasp the often complex principles of martial arts. It also gives a sense of being a part of a greater history that appeals to some.

The eclectic styles are less rigid in the both the manner in which they are taught as well as the material that is covered. This makes it easier to keepstudents involved and more emphasis is put on what works for the individual rather than they way things have always been done. That approach makes these styles much more appealing to Westerners who are more self involved than the typical Easterner.

But after years of study I have found personally that I prefer the traditional approach for beginners, because it teaches them not only a set of principles that will only improve their more advanced technique but training in a traditional environment teaches a respect both for the skills that are being taught and the fellow students and instructors. I personally found that lacking in the eclectic styles I studied. There was much more emphasis placed on winning and losing than in developing your skill and better yourself as a person.

I also think that getting rid of kata or form work is a definate mistake. Kata do have value to the student who takes the time to truly examine them. Most practicioners of karate do not realinze that there are a wide variety of throws and joint locks hidden in the most simple of forms.(Shotokan's Heian Shodan for example) I personally understand the principles of martial arts far better than I ever would have had I not taken the time to truly examine both kata and their applicable bunkai.

Sorry so long winded.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever is most effective in the long run. Sometimes it's one... sometimes it's the other.

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional and eclectic can and does go hand in hand. Hapkido is a traditional Korean progressive/eclectic art. The traditional aspect comes in to play in the way of rituals and traditions, Ideology and phylosophy. Our traditional ideology and phylosopies dictate that we constantly refine and change. That we progress and change based on the refinements and evolutions of other systems are an absolutly integral part of our ideology and phylosophies. This is what we were from the begining and what we will always be. Our traditional aspect is in our mindset and ways we train. Not in the techniques we learn and preform and how we execute them.
This is Hap Ki Do, We are in your face

m002
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic definitely.

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electric, or "alive" as matt thorton puts it

isshinryu kid
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: isshinryu karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclectic Of course.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno i bit of both for me

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditional

I AM CANADIAN
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: