Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

parkerlineage
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: American Kenpo - 12 years; Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu - Starting! (Dabbled in Wushu, Eagle Claw)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sixteen, so a young instructor, like you.

Of the assistant instructors, I know I am the kid's favorite, because I have heard them say that, and have had their parents tell me so.

I got to that position by being friendly, but not a friend, like many above have stated. I joke, smile, tease, and establish my authority with an iron thumb if things start to get out of hand. The best way to make kids not like you is to be constantly yelling and doling out punishments - establish your authority as soon as you see things beginning to get out of hand so that you don't spend the rest of the class trying to regain control.

Don't be afraid to develop impersonal personal relationships with the students. I forget their names all the time, but they all think I'm their best friend. Joke with them, give out compliments freely and correct subtly - I hate it when the other assistant instructors criticize students in front of the entire class at the top of their lungs (unless, of course, the student has a big head and needs to be deflated), and so do the kids.

My final tip is to be just and caring - if two students are arguing, I separate them until such time as I can take them both quietly aside, have them relate their stories to me, and then smooth things out by having them both apologize - and then keep them separated.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Cmon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with remembering their names.
My instructer is terrible with names, he looks at the people who have been going for a while and he has to think hard about the name. But he has little sayings for everyones name to remember them. Mine: Simple Simon.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be popular without looking like you want to Act nice, treat them with repsect, have a smile for anyone and try to be fair no matter what. They'll respect you and you'll be popular too.

danege
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Lau Kune Kung Fu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sifu and i are friends...but i show the upmost respect for him when we are training.
And hit you continuiously untill i see red.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: