Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

superleeds
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: problem Reply with quote

In 6 weeks time I'll have my first test ever. When the instructors look at me, I dont perform as well as I normally do. ( I freak out) Has anyone some tips on how to overcome this psykological problem?

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya..........Learn to chill out. Close your eyes and do your katas. Get used to doing it without thinking they are there. As an instructor I know most of us take in account nerves. Specially for the first couple ranks. By purple belt you should not be freaking (still nervous perhaps, but not freaking out). Main advice is to do it in front of your friends in the dojo and be open to any critisism they give you. Getting mad does not help when you are going up there for your test. The other thing is try to relax and do your best. Basically all you can do anyway.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that everyone has been there .... and knows very well how nervous someone can get performing in front of an audience plus the instructors.
It's easy to say this but, you need to block out the external and concentrate on just you! Take a deep breath .... look straight ahead and do your very best. (Closing your eyes may not be such good advice during test BlueDragon!) Your instructor does take into consideration your "nervousness" at first test and may have you repeat kata or techniques if you screw up.

Good Luck to you

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first test is an eye opening exeprience for all of us. We may have seen a test before but our test is different. Get a good nights sleep two nights before the test in case nerves keep you up the night before.

Just do the best you can. It is okay if you make a mistake. Yes, I said it is okay if you make a mistake. Even if you fall on the floor just get up and keep going. Most tests you get a second chance to correct your errors.

This test will be a huge learning experience for you. Make the most of it. Think of it as just a new kind of class.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, breath, move

Remember, slow is fast and fast is smooth

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean durning the test (sorry) I ment learning to do it with your eyes closed gives you more confidence when doing it (sometimes) and will help you block out the instuctors presense. I would never recommend it during the test.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give 100% all the time. If you make a mistake keep going. Spirit and effort are half the battle. Just relax and good luck to you. If your teacher did not think you are ready he would not have asked you to test.
It is just an extension of what you do in class (only under pressure).

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do your best and remember thats all you can do! practise alot, practise all your kata and techniques for your test over and over till you could do them with your eyes closed. after your first test you will get better and better and hopfully you will not worry after this.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a mental thing not a physical. You have to learn to control you emotions and put youself in a relaxed state. With time you will get better but you can't let fear win. If its public speaking or whatever you got to set fear aside and prefrom. That is easy to say but its ok to loose or fail if you are not good enough it is differant to loose because you are afraid or nervous.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do your best. it is almost impossible to fail a white belt test! it can be done, but it takes effort.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: