Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:???:Any suggestions on the best way to suppress a superior kicker's techniques with faster sronger punching? I'm shorter and lighter than most of my sparring partners.
They kick higher, harder, better, but I'm definitely a superior boxer. Faster hands, better technique, even better power on my side in the punching dept. How do I maximize my strengths versus superior kickers without eating more knees and leg kicks than necesary while bringing my own kicking techniques up to speed?

OSU!

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try bridging the gap. Get in and out quickly. Use angles dont be directly in front of your opponent.Remember to use your jab. It can throw off your opponents timing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distancing and positioning

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, lateral movement does seem to help. And of course when in doubt, jab, jab, jab.
I do get in to trouble in clinches because these taller fellas are just beating me up me with knees.

Osu!

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when leg kicks are involved,at least with a well schooled leg kicker,lateral movement can actually be a hinderance. i love righty's who like to jab and move to there left. perfect enviroment for leg kicking.
your best chance is to punch when they launch the kick.if you can get a copy of hoost v. leko, you'll get a good ex. of punching against a kick.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Havoc. I've noticed sometimes when I circle left it's like boxing a southpaw, I feel like I' moving right into their kicking power. Which K-1 did that fight take place on so I can get a hold of the tape?
Osu

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sparring the other night and this guy was pushing me back with good kicks, i'm moved back and to the side (in south paw position, my worst side) and as he came in with a roundkick i thought "ooooohh mumma!! i got youse now!" and i checked it with my back leg and gave him a right jab into the teeth. I didn't mean to hit him so hard, just a tap, but it was effective enough to make him bleed and back off... It was pretty cool.

You might fidn that when some guys are concentrating on their kicks that they are looking down and their guard drops a bit, just use your footwork to slide in with a quick jab (double jab if you're quicker than myself). You have to remember your footwork. Sliding your feet will get u their quicker than a stationary karate punch and you will ultimately get more power.

Thar ye goo,
Angus

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Angus, I've had a fair amount of success
going into full on boxer mode sporadically, with guys that aren't too far beyond me. It throws them off when you put together three or four crisp multi punch combos coming at them hard. I think it's because I can close distance so fast that way. If I don't mix a kick in there somwhere by then they've found their distance to lay into me with kicks or knees if they are any good. I'm making slow progress at judo so I am hoping one day to top these little hand offensives off with a throw but like my spinning back and hook kick I still have to think about the mechanics too much for the techniques to be even remotely sparring effective.

Osu!

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes against most of what others have told you but you should get as close as possible, this way their kicks have no power.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I'm working, the more I'm learning not to stay in any one zone too long. If I stay in tight too long, taller guys start putting in the knees. It's like any sport, unless you just have raw power & strength, you have to keep moving and shifting to maximize your own strengths and minimize your opponent's. I'm just begining to try to incorporate the Sabaki style strategy into sessions. So much to learn for such an old dog.

Thanks for the help folks. It keeps me trying new things. I hope others benefit as well.

Osu!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: