Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Punches Reply with quote

Just wondering how everyone executes different punches(fist position).

Here is mine:

Lead: Vertical fist with elbow pointing down, Horizontal/three quarter fist with elbow pointed slightly to the side

Cross: Horizontal/three quarter fist with elbow pointed slightly to the side

Hook: Vertical fist

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most punches, elbow anchored (kept in and down) and torque the punch at the end. Amount of torque, or rollover of the fist, depends. I like to keep a vertical fist when striking to the head. Striking to the lower abdomen I usually use a reverse, or horizontal fist. But distance also has an effect- the farther out he goes, the more the fist will rotate. There is a strike, very seldom used because it overextends you severely, where the fist rotates past horizontal and ends up vertical again, but palm out. Another variation on fist rotation that I prefer, especially for body shots, is called the 'Diamond Fist'. Your fist is at about 45' when the strike lands. Try holding your arm out, like a punch, and turn your fist back and forth from vertical to 45' to horizontal. Note the difference in tension as you pass through the 45', and also as you stop in the 45'.

Uppercuts still have the elbow anchored, but are delivered palm up. As they go higher, I get more body turn and shoulder into the strike. I really prefer to keep my uppercuts low, the elbow not going past my side and my body erect.

Roundhouses, the elbow goes up and out, but not too much. Hooks, the elbow snaps out and the fist inverts.

All punches are accompanied by a stance change or foot maneuver for power, position and allignment- very few exceptions.

A punch should also be a block or a check if possible so that you limmit your exposure/vulnaribility.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: