Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Highler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Question about my new gi Reply with quote

Well i got my first gi as a surprise at christmas and although i was planning on buying a good heavyweight gi from the dojo i feel it's only right to wear the one i was bought for now, it's just a basic light gi.

Anyway, i tried it on and the cuffs at the arms and ankles are right at the end, not too long, but not very short either. It's also got the fold marks on the legs and arms blatantly sticking out and it looks quite daft!

Should i wash it first and shrink it slightly or should i just leave the length and iron out the creases?

Thanks

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wear it. By the time you've started to sweat a little it will have started to calm down a little.

We are all used to seeing someone walking in with a new gi for the first time, no one will care. It just looks like you left the hangers in.

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try washing it if you feel uncomfortable with the sleeve length - it may shrink it slightly so that the sleeves & legs are the right length. Don't use water that's too hot, though!! Guess who made that mistake with her first gi...

Don't worry about the fold marks - everyone has been a beginner at some point and I'm sure many people on here have worn gi with fold marks in them!

Just as a side-note: if you do buy yourself a heavy-weight gi, then don't get rid of your old light-weight. It may come in handy for when Britain has those (very rare) hot days in the summer!

Sheffield Steelers!

Highler
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: