Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how he picked the name
American - The country he lived, was born, and served, and where the style was made.

TAO - mean the way

Karate - empty hand.

So the way of the American empty harnd.

Karate to most people is just a generic term that refers to MA. So I don't think it was a slir on Korea as much as it was just a marketing idea.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found two "year book" type things in the dojang on thursday. I read through it, and I learned a lot about who taught, and what was taught to my master instructor. He studied Karate-do, Kung Fu (still does), TKD (still does), and Tai Chi. This might be of interest to drunken monk, too. They are in the magazine holder in the lobby if you wanna read them, drunkin monk.

Our style is called Kwok Wu Chuen Tae Kwon Do. It's mixed with WTF TKD, Shaolin kung Fu (which we start learning at red belt as well as TKD), and Chin Na. Don't ask me about the Shaolin forms, cause I donno yet LOL. I just a lowly green belt (high green soon) LOL. I'll prolly learn more about the Shaolin part of our style when I get to the advanced class (December). He also has a seperate Tai chi class.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: