Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RubberBoy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Questions about Gi weights Reply with quote

I need to order an extra pair of pants for karate and jiu-jitsu. I was thinking of getting a Century middleweight Traditional. They are 7.25 oz. My questions are:

1.) Is 7.25 so light that I will have to worry that they are somewhat seethough? (My first Gi was only 5 oz.—and it was a little bit seethrough. )

2.) Will these pants hold up to jiu-jitsu (grappling) practice and sparring? (My 11 oz. Kwon gi pants have held up very well so far for what we do in that class.)

I would get heavyweight, but we're not even into the very humid and hot part of the summer where I live and it's already pretty warm in the places where my classes are, and we may have some classes outside. It's just going to get much worse, so I'm thinking some middleweight pants might be nice.

Thanks!

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you shop around for other middleweight brand pants. I recommend at the very least 10oz. for a middleweight. I don't think that the 7.25oz. ones would be see through, but they may not hold up too well for jujitsu.

Have you thought about just buying some judo/jujitsu gi pants? Just my 2cents

RubberBoy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Do you have any recommendations on where to shop or brands to look for?

Also, I might like jiu-jitsu pants, but if they look different than karate pants that might not be good for my karate dojo, but there's no standard for my jiu-jitsu class—I can wear whatever I want. I just don't want to put any more jiu-jitsu wear and tear on my expensive heavyweight pants, especially since I'm not wearing out the jacket at the same rate because I wear a t-shirt for that class. I know the double-weave jiu-jitsu pants look different, but I'm not sure about single-weave.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7.5oz gi for karate - it is very light, even though it isn't see-through. It's a bit too light for heavy karate work, though, so I wouldn't say that they stand up well for your Jiu-Jitsu class.

I have a Ju-Jitsu gi that a friend gave me. I wear it occasionally for karate and aikido - the trousers don't look that different from regular karate gi trousers, apart from being thicker around the knees. My karate sensei doesn't mind me wearing the ju-jitsu gi for karate training, as it's white and looks prety much like a karate gi, except its thicker & padded.

Maybe you should ask around at your club, see what brand of gi's that people there recommend. I can give you web addresses of stores in the UK - but that's no good for someone in the US!!

Sheffield Steelers!

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search for martial arts supplies, you'll get ton of sites

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Century Middleweights. They have a lot of polyester and are pretty tough for middleweight pants. They are not my first choice but they are adequate. They don't breath that well but they are durable. They are black so I can't address the "see through" issue.

Shorinryu Sensei
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorinryu Matsumura Kenpo (Seito/Orthodox) Karate and Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd think the middle-weight pants would be just fine. Just don't forget to wear underwear on class nights!

Oh yeah...and if you do wear underwear, leave the leopard print thongs in the back of your undies drawer for that big date Saturday night, not for martial arts class.

pericles
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, Brazilian jiu-jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought a middle-weight gi from www.e-bogu.com. that is a really good martial arts supply site. It's a 12 oz. gi. I'm quite happy with it. definitely be sure to ask what gi is allowed at your dojo though.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorin Ryu Sensei you bring a funny story to mind talking about leopard print underwear.
When I was starting the style that I was able to stick with for several years my training partner was a 17 year old kid named Freddie. Freddie was your typical country boy from a small town in Louisiana. He was also a little cocky as he had a 2nd dan in Kajukenbo Kenpo Karate.
Anyway, I'm really making a short story long here, Freddie used to like to change in the back of the open dojo area after class was over. We all changed there because there was no changing room. However Freddie was the only one that ever changed into different pants before he left. He always wore these cheesy neon leopard print underwear to class and would look around to see if any of the older women were watching him while he changed. He provided me with much entertainment back in the day.
Here's to you Freddie, may you rest in peace.

AngelaG
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about Gi weights Reply with quote

RubberBoy wrote:

[list]1.) Is 7.25 so light that I will have to worry that they are somewhat seethough? (My first Gi was only 5 oz.—and it was a little bit seethrough. )

I'd say 7.25 is lightweight, not medium. And I wouldn't get trousers that light if I was doing grappling, or in fact in karate.... to many kiba-dachi and...... ****rip****

http://www.karateresource.com
Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: