Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Real wood vs rebreakable boards Reply with quote

I would like to get your opinion on testing with real wood vs rebreakable boards. I find the rebreakable boards to be strong, and they have to be hit in the middle to break. Other than the obvious pros and cons (less mess with rebreakable, less storage, not killing trees, etc) I would like to know how you feel.

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

swooshfinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that some of the rebreakables tend to lose their strength after a period of time... in other words they don't hold together like they are supposed to. Losing their beneficial value as a training tool, because they break with very little pressure/ interia/ momentum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a rebreakable board BREAKS -- and I mean literally breaks instead of coming apart, it can be bad news for the holder and the kicker.

We had a rebreakable board break during a spinning back kick, and the edge on the board ended up slicing the kicker's leg open. Of course, this could happen with regular boards too, I'm sure.

And rebreakable boards suck for hand techniques

sk0t
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that rebreakable boards are invaluable to the martial arts practioner...other than the obvious mess and other things that can make purchasing pine a monstrocity, I think that the rebreakable boards initiate more training, more focus (to hit the board in the middle, depending on what technique you are using) and it makes you use more power...because they are a bit harder to break than real boards (as long as they are brand new)

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

ShotokanKen
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never used them , now i dont think i want to

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood is so much easier to break then re-breakable boards You can bit a bit of wood anywhere and it'll break rebreakable you have to hit in the middle.

I went to pick up some wood from a timber merchants for a demo we were doing. 1"x1"x10" The guy behind the counter asked what we were doing with the wood and we said we punch and break it for a demonstration. He said i bet you don't break it against the grain

"Erm no we don't" He wasn't very impressed.

Bretty

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood isn't always easier to break. Sometimes it takes a little more force to start the fracture of the material as opposed to rebreakables, which become two pieces because you are overcoming the friction that hold the pressed fit together. For wood, it really depends on the grain structure and moisture content. I think rebreakables are fine during practice, but there's nothing like splitting a square foot of pine during a test!

Budomaru
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: T'ae-Kwon-Do and freestyle (kinda like everything I know together)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think both are quite good - well you the topic is wood vs rebreakable but i'll just say what i think.

since they require slightly different technique they are both valuable for varying practice - which is always useful. whether one or another needs more strength i dont really know - we had an rebreakable board in class and it looked quite used to me, however some of the green or blue belts had trouble breaking them sometimes because they require more precision. i myself am a greenbelt and i had to try 2 or 3 times to break with an outward crecent (naeryo-chagi in TKD).

real wood though is different - maybe it can break in more places but it still needs to be hit in the center in order to break easily and properly. not to mention that, depending on the wood, you might have to use extra strength, while the rebreakable ones usually need the same amount of strength i guess since its mostly technique that counts there.

you mentioned that rebreakables get worn after a while - well, real wood gets broken after you punch or kick it! you have to buy more after, but with a rebreakable all you have to do is buy a new one and keep it for the time it lasts.

i think we should use both - rebreakables mostly for training and rehearsing demonstrations while wood for exams and real demos. also, real wood can be strengthened by adding more pieces from behind - you cant do that with a rebreakable

-Having fun is half success
-Training body to teach mind and training mind to teach body
-You can be the strongest and most flexible person alive - but if you cant use those properly
you've lost half the point of training

btroadman
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TaeKwonDo, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 6 year old who break boards in training, it really isn't all that big of a deal. I think they are really meant to be a confidence builder, and sometimes make you think a little more with technique as to not try and break a board against the grain. Other than that I could do without it all.
Kickboxing

IAMA_chick
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: tae kwon do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use the rebreakable boards to practice for tournaments, like our steps and thing, and also just when we mess around. we use actual boards for test's. it wouldn't be the same if we didn't use real boards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: